Why are male/female bonds constantly pushed by rescues?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Megamuffinandchip

Reaction score
So this isn't a post raging over rescues being homophobic or anything 😂, I'm just curious as to why this is. I've seen that different groups of people are pretty divided on this topic, some websites say that all pairings are possible and not too hard to make happen, while others say that male/female is pretty much the way to go unless they are from the same litter. What do you guys think?

Also, I found out that Does are less often picked at rescues (especially the one I went to), so I was confused that they didn't want to try one with my baby girl.

The male/female bond is often much easier to do than same gender bonds (although they can be done). I think bonding can still be as hard if they’re from the same litter, so honestly it just depends on the rabbit. Which is why it’s good if the rabbit can ‘choose’ the bunny they want to be with.

I spent over 4 months trying to find a friend for my bunny as all of them were boys so it’s funny that you say that! The rescue is probably advising a male so that it’s easiest to bond.

I think 🤔

I would assume they are just trying to make the easiest pairing-- which typically is male/female. But many rescues I've dealt with also have already bonded pairs for adoption. Those pairs are often m/m or f/f.

Another reason they may encourage a male with an existing female is that females are notoriously territorial. Bringing a 2nd female home can have the potential to be more problematic in that regard than a male.

I would assume they are just trying to make the easiest pairing-- which typically is male/female. But many rescues I've dealt with also have already bonded pairs for adoption. Those pairs are often m/m or f/f.

Another reason they may encourage a male with an existing female is that females are notoriously territorial. Bringing a 2nd female home can have the potential to be more problematic in that regard than a male.
Ooo, this is so interesting! My girl is so docile and submissive to every bun shes met, so I guess I never thought that could be an issue, the more you know!

Latest posts

Back