Why am I scared?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laura West

Reaction score
We are picking up our very first bunny tomorrow--but I'm scared! Up until last night, I was SO excited! We thought long and hard about the commitment it takes to own a bunny, and we finally bit the bullet! Why am I so worried? I've been prepping my kids for weeks about appropriate behavior, etc. We have everything we need, too. Buyer's remorse? I have no idea! Talk me off of ledge, people!

Last edited:
I don't think it is all that unusual to feel that way. It tells me that you are one of those responsible people who takes their responsibility seriously. That, in turn, means that you'll be a great bunny parent!

You've planned and prepared, and, if you're at all like me, that gives you a measure of comfort to know you're ready. But if you're still wondering whether you've done enough, it may help to busy yourself with prep details. This page on my site can help because it walks you through what exactly to do the very day you bring bunny home.

I wish I had something similar for a hedgehog. I've been researching all about them and have been considering getting one. I like to be prepared and have everything ready. When the time comes, I may have similar thoughts too. ;)

I hope everything goes great with picking your bunny! I know you will pick a great one and there is nothing to worry about! You seem like a very responsible owner!!

Blue eyes said:
I don't think it is all that unusual to feel that way. It tells me that you are one of those responsible people who takes their responsibility seriously. That, in turn, means that you'll be a great bunny parent!

Agree with BE exactly.

It's a big commitment, and one wonders if they'll always do the right thing, be the best caretaker, etc.

Many rabbits live... less than quality lives: in a tiny hutch alone for years, neglected in a cage in someone's garage, stuck in an environment in which they cannot run and explore, fed nothing but unhealthy pellets, or suffering health problems with caretakers not caring or willing to help.

None of us are perfect, and there's always a lot to learn. Not just with rabbits as a species, but with each individual rabbit we care for. As long as we give them a loving home and proper care their kind needs to live a full, healthy, and enjoyable life, then we've made a positive difference for a small creature that craves a wonderful life as much as any animal or human :)

Phew! Ok. You have all helped me realize that this is normal. I want this girl to have an amazing life. She has a huge playpen and I plan to let her free roam whenever we're home (every afternoon until bedtime). We've got this! Thank you @Blue eyes @SydneyHasBunnies @sam

I was incredibly scared to bring our new bunny home.
I was afraid it would bite, or I would be allergic to it. I am incredibly allergic to hamsters, guinea pigs, chinchillas, ect. We went and visited the rabbitry run by one of my daughter's friends and I got all in there petting and hanging out in the pen area so I could see if I had a reaction before committing. Not one sniffle.
Then I was scared about my dog and our cats. My dog is an Aussie Shepard with a high kill rate for rats, mice, and squirrels that wander into our yard. I was terrified he would go after the rabbit, or the cats would.
Well we brought her home yesterday and set her up in the living room so she wouldn't be lonely. It's on a table so none of the animals can nose around at her. The dog sniffed her cage, got bored and hasn't paid attention since. Only our youngest cat is still fixated on her 24 hours later. Both older cats have moved on.
I almost decided to let her out to play tonight in a room with no other pets but then read the article above and we will keep her confined another 24 hours.

I was incredibly scared to bring our new bunny home.
I was afraid it would bite, or I would be allergic to it. I am incredibly allergic to hamsters, guinea pigs, chinchillas, ect. We went and visited the rabbitry run by one of my daughter's friends and I got all in there petting and hanging out in the pen area so I could see if I had a reaction before committing. Not one sniffle.
Then I was scared about my dog and our cats. My dog is an Aussie Shepard with a high kill rate for rats, mice, and squirrels that wander into our yard. I was terrified he would go after the rabbit, or the cats would.
Well we brought her home yesterday and set her up in the living room so she wouldn't be lonely. It's on a table so none of the animals can nose around at her. The dog sniffed her cage, got bored and hasn't paid attention since. Only our youngest cat is still fixated on her 24 hours later. Both older cats have moved on.
I almost decided to let her out to play tonight in a room with no other pets but then read the article above and we will keep her confined another 24 hours.

Yup. You are correct that it is best to let a new bunny acclimate for 48 hours undisturbed (minimally). Is the cage where it will be permanently kept? It is best for that 48 hours to be spent where the cage will be permanently. That way she can acclimate to all the new sights,sounds, and smells. Those will be different in different parts of the house.

It is a good idea for her exercise area to be the same place as her cage. It is important for her to have access back to her cage when she is out exercising -- not only for her litter box access, but so she has her "safe place" to retreat to whenever she feels like it.

An exercise pen placed around her current cage is a good way for her to gradually get used to an area. Too much space, too soon, can cause potty accidents. Of course the cage should be down on the floor level so she can get in and out as she desires. It is best to let her come out when she feels ready. Not so good to force her out. With the exercise pen, you can open the cage door and then she can come out if and when she feels ready.

You can read more about this here at my website. There is also a section on how to introduce dog and rabbit safely on other pages of that site.

It's a normal reaction to an unknown. We got 2 Gouldian Finches 6 months ago--we got them because it's supposed to be very hard to get them to breed--we had Zebra finches, but only got males as they will breed. We now have 4 as the 1st clutch had 2 survivors and as soon as they came out of the nest we ended up with 5 more eggs and have 4 survivors that should be out by next week--will have to move them into a much larger cage and remove the nesting box. Just read up on bunnies as much as you can and you can always get any question answered here too.

Latest posts

Back