Why a rabbit is NOT a good child’s pet !

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Min is free-roam for 60% of the day for now. (Cage door is left open 80% but I think she is still warming up to us because we have had her for only a couple of weeks) Also, does anyone have tips for getting her to be litter-trained?

Why rabbits are not good children’s pet !
In my opinion a rabbit should not be given to a child less then 12 years old
(they would have to be very responsible 12 year olds and that is often not the case
- They are expensive I spend about $40 - $60 a month on Lucas, you can definitely find ways to save money, but do not expect to spend very little money. Then you have to take into consideration vet bills which can be in the thousands ! 💰

- You have to take time to bond with them, you have to earn your rabbits trust, you cannot expect your rabbit to be nice and trusting right away,

it took me 2 months to bond with Lucas but it can take a lot more,
some rabbits do not begin trusting their owner till 2 years

- They are not cuddly, rabbits do not like to be cuddled, it can make them feel trapped

- This rabbits life depends on you, your rabbit has no say in its care it cannot clean its litter box or feed itself
Some rabbits like to be cuddled!!! Some rabbits love it

Regardless of age I just hope people do their research before getting a bunny. We just had another big vet bill and it breaks my heart when I read of people posting that can't afford such treatments in emergencies.

Latest posts

Back