Whole litter died

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nikki G1

Reaction score
Hi
I had a litter of Flemish Giants whose mum passed away when they were 10 days old. She was quite an old bunny so not totally unexpected. I contacted my vets, did some research and attempted to hand rear the babies feeding a mixture of kitten milk and goats milk. I also used a surrogate mum whose litter was just weaned and some (but not all) would get some milk from her as well. Anyway these babies all looked a little runty, they were eating hay and pellets but stayed smaller than to be expected with one in particular being on the thin side. They reached seven weeks and then all died in the space of 3 days. I had the vet visit who thought it was RHD so we proceeded on that basis and assumed we would possibly lose all our bunnies. However now, a couple of weeks on, we have not lost any others at all, just this litter so can’t be RHD. One of the litter was separate to the others as I was keeping her and even she died. They were eating one minute and dead the next. The vet examined a newly dead baby and could find no symptoms of any type. I did stop the milk about a week or so before this happened as they were not growing well but were eating solids well. Any ideas what could have caused this?
Thanks

Sounds like they didn’t get a very good start in life, and weaning age is very stressful on them. If they didn’t get quality milk from mom up to that time then they didn’t develop her immunities or get the nourishment needed to develop a strong gut.

Latest posts

Back