Who is having does kindle this week?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinysMom

Reaction score
Just curious to see who's having babies and what you're having.

Last week Mona Kea had seven babies - one of which was a peanut. But the six remaining babies are doing well and thriving and I'm so happy.

Then - Wednesday night around 11:30 pm - Sundae had her kits - six of them! Sundae is a broken tort lionhead (Mona Kea is a tort lionhead). I think Sundae had 4 brokens and 2 torts....I'm dying to see and don't want to wait.

I still have some more due soon too....

So - who else is having babies? AND...isn't it a great feeling when everything goes fine?

Peg

our dusty harlequin lop is due valentines day! Cinders would of been due but she dont seem to be pregnant we have checked her and cant feel a thing unless she is hiding them! the week after our 2 blue lion head does will be due! our Gizmo had babes 3 weeks ago, she had 2 grey, 2 black and white and 2 grey and white they are soooooo cute!

I don't have any due this week... but NEXT week sometime I've got 2 litters due. The reason I say sometime is because I haven't had a litter born since October and in trying to speed up my litter chances.... I've had a couple does in with my bucks (two does per buck) and they've been basically living together since December.

I finally got a positive palpation on 2 of them (1 doe each out of 2 bucks)... by my guesstimate they took somewhere around mid January... so I'm gonna say they're due on the 16th. I palpate weekly and as of Monday, they felt to be 3 weeks along. Next week I'll start palpating them daily and give them a nestbox this comingMonday just in case.

(all Mini Rex)
1st litteris Lynx X REW (genetic Lynx) breeding... expecting REW and Lynx.
2nd litter is Lynx X Lynx breeding... expectingonly Lynx as the buck does not carry any recessives for Self, REW, or nonextension.

bunnytopia wrote:
oh and i wish i was a rabbit pregnant for 28-34 days wud suit me just fine as i have got another 17 weeks to go till i have my baby!
:bunnydance: :elephant:

I had my baby 8 weeks ago on December 14th. He followed in line with his brother and sister and was born at 38 weeks gestation.

Good luck and hope you have a quick, noneventfull delivery.

SunnieBunnie Rabbitry wrote:
I don't have any due this week... but NEXT week sometime I've got 2 litters due. The reason I say sometime is because I haven't had a litter born since October and in trying to speed up my litter chances.... I've had a couple does in with my bucks (two does per buck) and they've been basically living together since December.

Does this work out well for you? I ask because I did the same thing with my chocolate doe and lilac buck - they were together for four or five days. So many times people say "Don't let them stay together....be there for the breeding" but most of my lionheads tend to be gentle. I've been trying to breed her since October - and out of desperation - finally did it this way.

Now they cuddle side by side (their cages are beside each other) and I swear he talks to her sometimes and tries to nudge her - as if to say, "You can make it....really you can!"

Peg

TinysMom wrote:
Does this work out well for you? I ask because I did the same thing with my chocolate doe and lilac buck - they were together for four or five days. So many times people say "Don't let them stay together....be there for the breeding" but most of my lionheads tend to be gentle. I've been trying to breed her since October - and out of desperation - finally did it this way.

Now they cuddle side by side (their cages are beside each other) and I swear he talks to her sometimes and tries to nudge her - as if to say, "You can make it....really you can!"

Peg
Typically it works out just fine for me. Now, just speaking from experience and what I've noticed... the breeders that typically say not to let them stay together, often times have had a bad experience due to not paying much attention to subtle signs when they left a doe in with a buck.

When I put a doe in with a buck (for anything longer than 10mins), I will stand there and watch their behavior for a minimum of 30minutes. If I notice any signs of the doe putting her ears back, or lunging at the buck, or signs of annoyment... I'll take her out after the deed is done. I will not leave the doe with the buck unsupervised. On the other hand, if she doesn't do anything out of the ordinary (running away from the buck or cowering in the corner is okay), then I'll leave her in with him and they are just fine together. I will remove her back to her own cage when I get a positive palpation, or if she starts showing pregnant behavior like grunting.

The key to successfully leaving a buck and doe together without problems is observation. So far, *knock on wood*, I haven't had any problems at all doing this... it's worked out quite well for me. I've successfully had 3 does and 1 buck in the same cage for2 weeks (when all 3 does palpated positive) and they all got along just fine with no scuffles. (Actually, the girls would huddle together as if to protect/comfort themselves, or each other, from the advances of the buck.)

Typically it works out just fine for me. Now, just speaking from experience and what I've noticed... the breeders that typically say not to let them stay together, often times have had a bad experience due to not paying much attention to subtle signs when they left a doe in with a buck.

The key to successfully leaving a buck and doe together without problems is observation. So far, *knock on wood*, I haven't had any problems at all doing this... it's worked out quite well for me. I've successfully had 3 does and 1 buck in the same cage for2 weeks (when all 3 does palpated positive) and they all got along just fine with no scuffles. (Actually, the girls would huddle together as if to protect/comfort themselves, or each other, from the advances of the buck.)

That is great to know. I'm trying to remember how many times I've done it - three or four maybe now that I think about it? I've done it with two bucks in particular and two does in particular (w/ those bucks). In both cases, I had tried more than once for a breeding only to have it "not take"....so at the advice of at least two mentors - I would go ahead and do it. (I've sort of adopted about 5 people as my mentors...so I can get more than one opinion before doing something - all but one of them breed lionheads).

Palpating is so darned hard for me. I do have a question though. I have a doe that I believe is about 3 1/2 weeks - 4 weeks along ....she's not had any litters since at least October. I picked her up today and she was heavier than before (I was giving her some exercise time) - but what I really noticed was her nipples standing out more than before. Wouldn't that be a good sign that she's pregnant also? Just curious...

Peg

Have you ever held one of those silicone/gel stress reliever thingies? Where it's kinda hard to actually hold it in a gripped fist because it just slips out? That's kinda like palpating does at a further gestation of about 3wks to full term. You'll reach up to feel their tummies, but as soon as you think you might feel something, it moves out of your grasp. With these does, it's easier to palpate with your fingers spread out as to "trap" the fetus between them to get an accurate feel. The motion is kinda like kneading dough, but with a cupped hand instead.

Honestly, I've never really paid that much attention to their nipples... but have noticed they are more "viewable" just beforethey begin the process of pulling fur.

That is a great description - but I still struggle with it - I am wondering if I'm not firm enough and really worried about hurting the babies or the doe.

I'm so thrilled because my babies from my broken tort mama are doing so well. The pattern still isn't showing up well on the brokens....still a lot of white/pink skin. I am thinking one of the solid ones might be a siamese sable - which would be great! I also found out that I definitely have a siamese sable in another litter...so I'm pretty happy about that right now.

I have another doe that is gonna pop if she doesn't kindle soon. She's my doe that normally kindles around noon-time. I'm thinking she's due today but it might be tomorrow - I'll have to go back and look up my dates.

Peg

It won't hurt her or the fetus at all. It's just like when your OB/GYN feels your belly for the baby's position... It's a tummy massage :D.

The way I learned was to palpate a doe I believed to be pregnant and was further along in gestation (about 3 or more weeks)... then palpated a doe that I knew could not be... I went back & forth between the two noting the differences. From there I just started palpating sooner and sooner until I was able to accurately palpate at 9 days gestation.

From there I just started palpating sooner and sooner until I was able to accurately palpate at 9 days gestation.
And you're moving here when to help me palpate? :-D

That is great. Do you palpate to tell the number of kits she's having - or just to verify the pregnancy?

Also - is it harder to palpate a first-time momma than one who has had babies before? What if it is a mama who usually has lots of babies for that breed....is it easier or harder to tell w/ them?

Peg

It won't hurt her or the fetus at all. It's just like when your OB/GYN feels your belly for the baby's position... It's a tummy massage :D.
Aw...that didn't really happen for me. My twins are 21 years old and when I was 12 weeks along - he threw out the measuring tape as I was measuring full term. So if he did feel to see where the babies where....I don't remember it.

Peg

P.S. The kids were born 3 1/2 weeks early and weighed 5 lbs 11 ounces and 6 pounds 3/4 ounce....

I just palpate to verify pregnancy. IMO, it's easier to tell pregnancy if she is having a lot of babies (4+)... when it's just one or two, it can be rather difficult and easy to confuse the kidneys for a fetus (or vise versa).

Wow! I could in no way imagine having twins! It's hard enough with just one! I now have 3 kids... 9yrs, 5 3/4yrs (will be 6 in April), & 8wks. I'm still trying to juggle everything and every one. If it weren't for my older two... everything would go to heck on a pogo stick... they are good about doing their chores and plus anything else I may ask for the day.

thank you for your kind words sunniebunnie, my eldest daughter was born on the 17th dec and is 5 yrs old, i then have a daughter who will be 4 may 29th and then our son is due june 4th! both of those labours were quick and no problems occured so heres hoping the same goes for this little one!

Sam

Ooooh, TinysMom, you have twins too? Mine are 29 months now, and giving me more lip every day, LOL.
Anyway, back to the bunnies... I have a very hard time palpating too. That's a great idea, comparing on a doe that isn't pregnant. I think I will have to try that. I have a MIni Rex broken castor doe that is due-er-in a couple of weeks? Stupid me forgot to write it down! I can tell within a couple of days,though, because I have to look and see when she had her other litter, she kindled just a couple of weeks ago, and lost the whole litter. I felt so bad for her, she wants to be a mama so badly.
I re-bred her a couple of days after she kindled, so it shouldn't be hard to figure out when she should be due. I never took her nestbox out after she lost the first litter. It makes me sad, she has been just sitting in the box looking sad. I think she's relized she's pregnant again, though, 'cause she has been looking more cheerful the last couple of days.
Here's a question for those of you who have been breeding a long time-can you breed a doe to two different bucks at the same time? I don't mean simultaneously, but one right after another? The doe I am talking about, I treid breeding her with a buck I am thinking about selling, but he is young enough he wasn't sure what to do. So I put her with a more experienced buck, because she was so willing to breed she was obviously getting frustrated with the young one. I would love for her to have babies with both of them, but I don't know if that's possible? I have heard that cats can do this, but it might be just an old wives tale.

gentle giants wrote:
Here's a question for those of you who have been breeding a long time-can you breed a doe to two different bucks at the same time? I don't mean simultaneously, but one right after another? The doe I am talking about, I treid breeding her with a buck I am thinking about selling, but he is young enough he wasn't sure what to do. So I put her with a more experienced buck, because she was so willing to breed she was obviously getting frustrated with the young one. I would love for her to have babies with both of them, but I don't know if that's possible? I have heard that cats can do this, but it might be just an old wives tale.
I would not advise this for two reasons....

1) What could happen (and most often does) is the 2[suP]nd[/suP] buck will smell the 1[suP]st[/suP] buck on the doe and attack her. This has happened in my rabbitry ONCE... I attempted to breed a doe with a buck but it turned out he wasn't interested - I even tried putting him on top of her to coax him with no luck. So then I just gave up on that buck and decided to give her to another buck... the other buck went up to her, sniffed her hindquarters then attacked her. Needless to say... she never got bred for that round of breeding.

2) If both bucks DO connect successfully... there is no way to know which buck fathered the litter or which buck fathered which kits in the litter. I have heard it is possible for two separate bucks to father one litter.

I would just keep trying with the young one (if you really want a litter out of him with her before he is sold)... then after that litter is weaned, you can breed to the other buck you wanted to. This way you know WHO fathered what and when. ;)

Well, I can't do that with this doe, she is pregnant now. I think it was probably the second buck that was succesful. The young one that wasn't sure about his business might have been, but the older buck immedialty went abut his "business".
I never thought about the second buck attacking the doe. I usually never put a doe with two different bucks, I just did it this time 'cause the young one didn't know his, er, "stuff" yet. Unfortunalty, I don't want to breed any more does right now becuase of space issues. Oh, well, the buck may not sell anyway, I'm hauling him to a show on the 19th, so we'll see.

Latest posts

Back