Who has a lop (any type of lop) who's ears never lopped?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mariah

Reaction score
Hello!

Me again! I have two lops- Kiwi and Papaya.

Kiwi is a holland lop who's ears took FOREVER to lop! They finally did.

So I also have Papaya- he is a fuzzy holland lop. He's 6 months old now, neutered and his ears are either airplanes or they are up still! Sometimes if he's just relaxing they are kinda down, but still not all the way down.

Anyone else have a lop who never lopped? I don't care if they lop as he's cute just the way he is!

When the ears lop can be genetic, some lines will lop earlier than others.
The lopping is due to the shape of the head. So a rabbit whos head is not right for fully lopped ears may have more ear control or helicopter ears. You usually see this more in lop mixes, but it can come up in pure bred rabbits as well.
At 6 months, he is pretty much full grown. He may fill out a bit and change a bit more, but I don't think that his ears will be fully lopped if they aren't now. Most lops have fully lopped by about 3 months old.

That's kinda what I figured but because Kiwis ears didn't lop until she was close to 6 months (see profile pic) I thought maybe, Papaya would be the same way.

Papaya is a pure bred as I did get him from the same breeder I had gotten Citrus (RIP) from. I saw both his parents and his litter mates. He was the only fuzzy in his litter and funny enough his ears were down when I first got him. He was housed in a barn that was hot so maybe the heat played a part with his ears being down when I got him. The breeder told me that every once in a while her doe would throw a fuzzy but it wasent very often. She had gotten the doe from a friend so she wasent entirely sure what her complete background was. She was a lop, but who knows what was in her genes!

So maybe he's not a pure bred afterall? Who cares, he's adorable and I love him!

I was reading in the breed section of this forum, that American fuzzy lops can sometimes have airplane ears.

My dad's got a Holland mix who has helicopter ears. One ear lopped perfectly. The other stands straight up.

My new rhinelander had droppy ear tips for a couple days. It can be due to heat, stress or dehydration, so it could have been the heat that made your guys ears lop at the breeders. Mine is back to normal ears now.

I don't know if being a fuzzy holland makes any difference. It could just be the combination of the mom and dad that made his head a big different so his ears don't lop all the way.

Fuzzy Holland Lops are a gene mutation that occurs in Holland lops. I don't know the full reasoning behind it, but I think that some fuzzy breed was used a long time ago (at least in rabbit lives) and that has persisted as a recessive gene and pops up from time to time. Fuzzy Lops are a separate breed, but are related to Holland Lops.

I think pretty much all domestic bunnies are mutants. Gene mutations caused everything from different colours to ears and some breeds (like angoras or rex).

I kinda love the airplane ears. :) we were nervous about Faith's ears at first, because when we got her, she had one ear straight up, and the other airplaned. The breeder assured us they were just in transition. Sure enough, a week or two after getting her, her ears were fully lopped. That was 8-9 weeks old. We plan on showing her, that's the only reason we were nervous about her ears, because I do think it was kinda cute, she looked like a nun.

My Holland buck, Bruiser, has lots of ear control, and when he's out, he'll generally have one ear sticking straight up! Whenever he's back in his quarters though, both ears are down.

That's like Papaya too. When he's just relaxing one of his ears is mostly down. The other either airplaning or up! When he's out and about they are always up!

Alice has one lopped and one straight up. She's still about 5 months, so I guess there's hope for the other one. =P

Littl3red, I wish I still had pics of me holding my buck's ears up, I'd post them for you!

Buttercup's Mama was a true lop and he Dad was pretty loppy as well, but Buttercup has never quite really lopped. Every now and then she will but usually... Nah.

252102_2188033776858_5783146_n.jpg

Oh my that is a sweet picture! haha :D

I have a lop mix whose hears never flopped. I think he is more of the mix part than the lop part! He kinda looks like the above picture too. His ears are pretty expressive because they "bounce" around more.

Omg! Buttercup is adorable! I thought I was the only one who ended up with a lop with unloped ears! I guess not! So sweet!

Latest posts

Back