White urine

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, sorry to hear about that, we advised you already as I said you need to find out his weight and also weight his usual portion of pellets to find out if he's getting too much calcium from pellets or just from kale. Because both pellets and kale contain calcium and you need to calculate how much pellets he can have daily.
We can't see what is the problem with his skin so we can't advise on that but those two issues may be not related at all.
If you don't have scales at home maybe you can bring him to a post office or some veg market and ask if they will let you use their scales, but we just need to know his weight to calculate his daily portion, maybe you feed him too much pellets and he is getting too much calcium from them.

May I ask if this urine is healthy for a high calcium urine? I know it's really dark thick yellow. Is this sludge?

Attachments

• IMG20200305183850.jpg
    IMG20200305183850.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 6
May I ask if this urine is healthy for a high calcium urine? I know it's really dark thick yellow. Is this sludge?

This is my rabbit. And to the right that is his pellet bowl and to the left is his water bowl

Attachments

• IMG20200305030234.jpg
    IMG20200305030234.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 8
This is my rabbit. And to the right that is his pellet bowl and to the left is his water bowl
If he has this metal bowl full of pellets every day his day portion is definitely too big so he's probably getting too much calcium from his pellets and you need to reduce his portions. But that's what I see from your photo of an empty bowl comparing to your rabbit's size, I don't know how much pellets he has in his bowl daily so can't calculate amount of calcium he's getting from them.
How many times a day he gets pellets and how full is his bowl each time?

You've already got lots of advice please read previous comments there's a list of vegetables in post #7.

Dark yellow can come from eating carrots. Thick urine can be calcium. Rabbits need to see a vet that works with rabbits and exotics. If you get a second opinion and that vet is not trained in exotics, he might agree with the first vet because he doesn't know what he is doing. I have gone to vets before where they go to a computer and "google" the symptoms. I can do that myself. If the vets you have do not have much experience with rabbits, it is better to trust the advice of experienced rabbit owners when it comes to eating and nutrition.

If he has this metal bowl full of pellets every day his day portion is definitely too big so he's probably getting too much calcium from his pellets and you need to reduce his portions. But that's what I see from your photo of an empty bowl comparing to your rabbit's size, I don't know how much pellets he has in his bowl daily so can't calculate amount of calcium he's getting from them.
How many times a day he gets pellets and how full is his bowl each time?

You've already got lots of advice please read previous comments there's a list of vegetables in post#7.

I usually give 1/3 of that bowl in day and night . Because I was afraid to give kale. I guess it is too much.

Dark yellow can come from eating carrots. Thick urine can be calcium. Rabbits need to see a vet that works with rabbits and exotics. If you get a second opinion and that vet is not trained in exotics, he might agree with the first vet because he doesn't know what he is doing. I have gone to vets before where they go to a computer and "google" the symptoms. I can do that myself. If the vets you have do not have much experience with rabbits, it is better to trust the advice of experienced rabbit owners when it comes to eating and nutrition.

This is why I got confused. Both of the vets knew about the calcium content in urine. however the first vet told me to eliminate all vegetables but the second vet told me eliminate all pellets but continue kale

I usually give 1/3 of that bowl in day and night . Because I was afraid to give kale. I guess it is too much.
So he gets pellets twice a day and it's about 2/3 of this metal bowl daily. I would say he gets 4-5 daily portions of pellets each day so 4-5 daily minimums of calcium with his pellets alone. If he gets calcium from kale on top of that..

Okay if you don't have a scale can you tell us what weight is your bag of rabbit food and ingredients with numbers listed on it? How many days lasts one pack of food for him? So we can calculate if there's 1 kg bag for example and it lasts one week or two weeks how many grams per day he gets.

Also if you can take a photo of his daily portion of kale or other vegs.

This is why I got confused. Both of the vets knew about the calcium content in urine. however the first vet told me to eliminate all vegetables but the second vet told me eliminate all pellets but continue kale

I trust the advise on this thread and I question the experience of those vets. Zuppa has pointed out good advice found on this thread and I think that information is very credible.

So he gets pellets twice a day and it's about 2/3 of this metal bowl daily. I would say he gets 4-5 daily portions of pellets each day so 4-5 daily minimums of calcium with his pellets alone. If he gets calcium from kale on top of that..

Okay if you don't have a scale can you tell us what weight is your bag of rabbit food and ingredients with numbers listed on it? How many days lasts one pack of food for him? So we can calculate if there's 2 kg pack how many grams per day he gets.

I gave a lot of kale as he wasn't drinking water. Coz I read that giving leafy greens could help them urine. And he urines a lot inspite of not drinking water. I feel so bad now. I actually gave him a lot of kale before this. But I felt like he recently about 2 weeks back developed whitish urine. And ever since I got him I always fed kale. The one plate of kale I usually give 2 plates in a day :( that would keep him filled up for the whole day and night. Now I reduce to 1 plate of kale for the whole day which means I divide the 1 plate of kale to morning and night portion.

I put this much of hay always mixing with new hay too in a cardboard I made for him to enjoy his hay. And more hay I would put in his potty. But he often eat a lot of hay in his potty rather than the ones I put in the cardboard. And if he doesn't go to his potty then it means he will not eat hay. So he eats hay only when he needs to go do his business.

His pellets each packet weigh 500gm. And I usually buy 3 for a month. Will these informations help? :(

Attachments

• IMG20200229220310.jpg
    IMG20200229220310.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG20200221133136.jpg
    IMG20200221133136.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 6
I trust the advise on this thread and I question the experience of those vets. Zuppa has pointed out good advice found on this thread and I think that information is very credible.

Yes that's so true! I'm actually so grateful zupper is helping me a lot! I'm learning a lot!

Okay if you don't have a scale can you tell us what weight is your bag of rabbit food and ingredients with numbers listed on it? How many days lasts one pack of food for him? So we can calculate if there's 1 kg bag for example and it lasts one week or two weeks how many grams per day he gets.

This is his recent urine. I just took a few mins ago. Diet was only pellets hay and water. And few stems of kale

Attachments

• IMG20200305193420.jpg
    IMG20200305193420.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 5
You can give celery, my bunnies love nibbling on the stalks and leaves .
Other than that I would stick with hay and water for a week or so. They might be stubborn but if they are hungry enough they will eat it. You can spritz the hay with a bit of apple juice to sweeten it and encourage the rabbit to eat it.
Add a little bit of Apple cider vinegar to the water, its very healthy for them .

His pellets each packet weigh 500gm. And I usually buy 3 for a month. Will these informations help? :(
If he has 1500 gram per 30 days roughly it is 50 gram per day it shouldn't be too much for an active rabbit of his size, maybe this bowl looks bigger than it is in photo. Your plate of leaves is looking big to me and if he gets two times a day.

I wouldn't say that your vets gave you conflicting advice, they both suggested to reduce food containing calcium and their advice was based on facts you gave them so as i said both pellets and kale contain calcium, so if you want to reduce calcium you need to cut pellets or kale, or both if portions are too big.

Summa summarum, in my opinion you need to revise his diet and you need to measure your portions and calculate your pellet ingredients and get your rabbit weighted for that, then when you have all numbers you can calculate and start feeding him more appropriately, feed not when he asks but when it's time and not more than his measured portion . Everybody learn and everybody makes mistakes it's completely fine, just for now I would keep him on hay and water for a few days he will be fine, and then I would measure properly his food and would keep his portions under control this should help.

You can give celery, my bunnies love nibbling on the stalks and leaves .
Other than that I would stick with hay and water for a week or so. They might be stubborn but if they are hungry enough they will eat it. You can spritz the hay with a bit of apple juice to sweeten it and encourage the rabbit to eat it.
Add a little bit of Apple cider vinegar to the water, its very healthy for them .

Ouhh I do have apple cider vinegar I've read on this page that it prevents sludge and urinary tract infection. What's the ratio? A tablespoon for a bowl of water?

If he has 1500 gram per 30 days roughly it is 50 gram per day it shouldn't be too much for an active rabbit of his size, maybe this bowl looks bigger than it is in photo. Your plate of leaves is looking big to me and if he gets two times a day.

I wouldn't say that your vets gave you conflicting advice, they both suggested to reduce food containing calcium and their advice was based on facts you gave them so as i said both pellets and kale contain calcium, so if you want to reduce calcium you need to cut pellets or kale, or both if portions are too big.

Summa summarum, in my opinion you need to revise his diet and you need to measure your portions and calculate your pellet ingredients and get your rabbit weighted for that, then when you have all numbers you can calculate and start feeding him more appropriately, feed not when he asks but when it's time and not more than his measured portion . Everybody learn and everybody makes mistakes it's completely fine, just for now I would keep him on hay and water for a few days he will be fine, and then I would measure properly his food and would keep his portions under control this should help.

Thank youuu! You've been a blessing! I thank God for your advice. I started buying coriander rather than kale. I'll alternately change his vegetables with coriander and kale and it's best I reduce pellets I believe. And keep him trained on hay. I somehow find it difficult to train him on hay however.
Thank you so much for your advice!. I really hope my bunny heals. And he is really active that most of the times I fail to see if he is sick. Even with that infection on his hind area he still goes around running and jumping around. I hope I can continue in your guidance for my rabbit if I have anymore difficulties. Thank you zupper :)

Ouhh I do have apple cider vinegar I've read on this page that it prevents sludge and urinary tract infection. What's the ratio? A tablespoon for a bowl of water?
Just 2-3 drops. It's about 1 tablespoon on 4 ltr of water, some people give it for 3 months and then make a break for the next 3 months, then 3 months again.

But before starting any changes or desperately adding any remedies you'd have to find out why so I would still suggest to get him weighted and his portions properly measured, and keep his diet healthy not overfeed him. Hay and water must be unlimited, pellets and vegetables measured. You can watch his poos in photo they look too dark to me, maybe it's just photo, but if they are more like black it means that his diet is too rich.

Just 2-3 drops. It's about 1 tablespoon on 4 ltr of water, some people give it for 3 months and then make a break for the next 3 months, then 3 months again.

But before starting any changes or desperately adding any remedies you'd have to find out why so I would still suggest to get him weighted and his portions properly measured, and keep his diet healthy not overfeed him. Hay and water must be unlimited, pellets and vegetables measured. You can watch his poos in photo they look too dark to me, maybe it's just photo, but if they are more like black it means that his diet is too rich.

Okayyy!!! I understood now. Yes his poop is dark due to the amount of vegetables I gave maybe. And he doesn't eat much hay. I'll try to discipline his diet hopefully he gets used to it . Thank you!

I bought a baby scale for my rabbits and it works great. Your vet should let you bring your rabbit in anytime and weigh him without charging you.

Please read post #7 in this thread I've posted a long list of vegetables low on calcium and there's a list of vegs not suitable to feed every day as well.

Zupper. I'm worried my rabbit might be losing weight. I stopped kale entirely. I feel less than a handful of pellets for now. I'm rotating vegetables between coriander cabbage and carrots. And I recently found green lettuce here. But my rabbit is losing weight. I give vegetables in the morning and night. I am worried about his weight zupper.

Zupper. I'm worried my rabbit might be losing weight. I stopped kale entirely. I feel less than a handful of pellets for now. I'm rotating vegetables between coriander cabbage and carrots. And I recently found green lettuce here. But my rabbit is losing weight. I give vegetables in the morning and night. I am worried about his weight zupper.

I feed*

Latest posts

Back