White spots on coat.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bad kelpie

Reaction score
Poppy just started getting these spots.

8625451023_0c979ceb20_z.jpg

8625453199_990579d930_z.jpg

Just random white spots in her fur. It started with her tail. She had a black tail, with a little bit of cream or gray, now it has lots of white.

The spots seem to correlate with areas of shorter fur, so could her coat just be shedding and coming in differently? Could she be pulling it out? Or Hazel? They don't ever act aggressively with each other.

Hazel's tail is getting a little white, but her coat hasn't changed.

This is from 10 days ago:

8597266832_b85c30a0ee_z.jpg

They're supposed to be flemish giants, but they are from the same breeder as the black and white one and he was sold as a flemish giant too (I knew he wasn't purebred as soon as I saw him, but he's a pet, I didn't care really).

Does this indicate they could be mixed with something else? And possibly with what?

Or is it just a goofy thing my rabbit is doing?

i dont think that is molting but i could be wrong. Havent ever seen white spots EXCEPT on my baby blues. They get them on top of the forearm and right above the hock then tan factor comes in later(1-2wks) as they get older.

White spots can be a sign of an injury or pulled out fur but if it was an injury you would have known.

They can also be from a poor breeding line or European line. People have also said that white spots can come from crossing a self color (other than white) with a white rabbit. When I crossed my Chestnut Agouti brit with a REW a judge who also bred brits asked if I had any of them come out with white spots because he had seen it before.

Aha! The spots are not white after all, just lighter. Seems like she's just molting. But at 8 weeks?

8642877889_8b1579d008_z.jpg

8643976168_b4ecee6f82_z.jpg

Hazel's doing it now too, but it's a lot more subtle.

8642882001_4dd6f4d52d_z.jpg

How'd they get so much older looking in just 5 days? :)

Rabbits usually molt out of their baby coats around 8-10 weeks of age. Then they molt again closer to 4-6 months old, and again around a year. After that, it's usually annually.

Could be also from a change in diet too. IF they switched feeds and it's affecting the coat, I found even with the gentlest of transitions I still could not prevent the funny patchy coats with my dutch. Heck my Chin buck you can still tell that he changed feeds, he's got a chin line in his coat. I'm waiting for him to blow his coat completely to get rid of it

LOL I was certainly wrong. It was the start of a molt. Hahaha Elizabeth I think chocolate anything always has a problem with molting tabs especially

Latest posts

Back