white and clear fluids

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johncdn

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have been hanging out a week orso and was waiting to get some pics of my bun before introducingmyself, but a question have come up.

Willow, I think she is a dwarf mix and about 11 or 12 weeks old, wasand is acting normal today, running around this morning naping andrelaxing this afternoon, when we noticed couple of spotswhere she way lying. The first was milky and kind of thin andthe second was clear like siliva but more thick, no smell that we cantell from both. Now I can't say for sure if both came from the samelocation because she moved a couple of times, but the thickerfluid was on her tail. She is acting very normal right now.

As for diet, she was introduced in the last 24 hrs to a bit of bananaand a dark berry. However, I did catch her eating a piece of furnaturefoam about 14 hrs before. Her poop is normal and plenty.

This is my 3rd rabbit all 3 girls, but the others were over 20 yrs agowhen I was a kid. She is my first full-time house rabbit so if theothers did it I might not have noticed.

Thanks for any help you may have.

Warmest Welcome, Johncdn, :)

I've seen you in these parts lately. I'm glad you jumped in.

Rabbit's urine can range anywhere from a milky color, to clear, to a bright reddish/orange color. It's normal.

The milky color can indicate an excess of calcium in their system, orit could just be the difference in the way their body is processing andbalancing what it's eating.

It's best to keep the calcium levels under 1% in their food if you'reseeing a lot of this. Some greens, such as kale and parsley, have ahigh level of calcium in them. If you're giving your little one that,you might cut back some. Also, alfalfa hay or based pellets are knownto be high in calcium. Consider switching over to grass hay or timothyhay.

If the substance is white and thick, like toothpaste, that could be anindication of her passing sludge, which she'll do and get over. There'snot a lot you can do for that either other than go with the grasshay/timothy hay, and go to a lower percentage of calcium in the foodyou're currently giving.

-Carolyn

Thanks, I think she's ok. It's been almost 24 hrs since it happened and has not returned......she's her usual 700m.p.h. self.;)

It was the clear fluid that had us most concerned it was really quitethick much like a maple syrup......and the fact that she is very goodabout using her litter boxes to pee in. it must have caught her bysuprise too because after we found it she concented to an undercarrageinspection something she does not like at all:X

Thanks again, pics soon I hope.

Hey John,

I just came on here today because I noticed the exact same thing goingon with my bunny. I have this mat for exercising and he likesto lay on it whenever he gets tired and I looked over and there wasthis milky white fluid on it. It seems when he lays down andgets up again, there is a bit of this white fluid there.

I am also in London Ontario and was wondering if you had fed your bunnyany weeds from outside today? I went out earlier and got minesome because he loves them.

I just find it very weird because this is the first time this has happened.

Thanks,

sweety

Johncdn,

You're really wise to keep an eye on their poop and urine. It gives usa great indication as to what's going on inside the rabbit because theyhide the symptoms so well. Such is the life of a prey animal.

I wouldn't be overly concerned at this point because all other systemsare Go, but I'd keep a close eye on it. When it happens, try to recallwhat she ate that day or if she had any stress.

Welcome aboard, Sweetym4, :)

I'd suspect the white fluid you're seeing is as a result of calcium.Without a test, we won't know for sure, but what you can do is knowwhat your little one ate when this happens. What type of feed yourgiving him/her and what are the percentages of calcium in it? If therabbit was outside eating greens, what greens was it eating for this tobe the first time this happened? A lot of colored greens are high incalcium.

There is rabbit food that is low in calcium that can be given to rabbits that are prone to high calcium levels.

-Carolyn

P.S. to Johncdn,

If you're having a problem with pictures, PM me. (Top right hand cornerof your screen, you'll see "Logged in as: Johncdn with a note about newmessages. That's where you pick up your private messages.) You can goin there and click on Write Message, and type my name, or you can clickon my name, pull up my profile, and scroll down on the pop-up screen toSend a Private Message.) :)

Thank GOD our members were patient with me when I was trying to learn it -- Particularly, BunnyMommy. :dude:

Sweety,

No greens from outside yet...plan to introduce field clover in a coupleof weeks, my pervious buns loved it. She has not been outsideyet because I still have to secure the yard and make her a goodpen......a lot of dogs in my area.

How old is yours? Willow is about 12 weeks and pretty good about using her 2 boxes, that's why it caught us by suprise.

Hey John,

Mine is around 5 or 6 yrs old....where did you get your bunny from?

sweety

Willow had another small discharge yesterday.

I was giving her a nose rub, she was on the carpet when she moved therewas a small drop about the size of a quarter. It was clear and thick,it had no smell and I could feel no grit in it. Willow had abit of a musky smell down low but not "too bad" if you know what I mean.

I have been reading about "sludge" herehttp://www.ontariorabbits.org/health/healthinfo4.htmand herehttp://www.rabbit.org/chapters/san-diego/health/vet-talk/sludge.htmlBut I'm not finding the "grit" they talk about in the fluid.She was not in any kind of distress either time it happened, she didn'teven look back to check it out.

Her main diet is Timothy grass, 1/4 cup of pellets(which she may or maynot finish in 24hrs) romaine is her main veggie which is pretty low inthe calcum, slivers of fruit as a treat (banana, peach,apple, or pear)along with small amounts of tomato, carrot, celery and green pepper.

Her pee is a bit white when it dries, so I'll cut back on her pellets alittle

She's drinking a pretty good amount of water from any one of three dishes in the house.

While i was looking i found this site......it has a lot of rabbitdisease info mostly from the view of the multi-rabbit breederPlease be warned, there are some photos and they are a bithard to look athttp://eesc.orst.edu/agcomwebfile/edmat/PNW310-E.pdf

UPDATE...........

No return of the mystery fluid since last posting (May 19).

She is eating less of the pellets, by her own choice, and more veggieand timothy hay. She is also drinking more water than she was at thetime...but I dont want to include this as a factor since it has beenover 85F and pretty humid here for the past week, so her water drinkingwould be up anyway.

I still don't know what the thick clear fluid was:ponder:

It may have been a temporary "growing up" kind of thing.....30 days inthe first year of a bun's life is a pretty big chunk of time.

We are now into the "I'm just going to pee a little on everything yousit on" phase:shock: "No, no.......it's 'cause I like you":p

Pristine has white urine. She is only5 months old. Is it okay to switch her over to Timothypellets yet? I think she's getting too much calcium from thealfalfa.

The clear gel-like mucous that rabbits may passis a result of over production of mucous in the intestines.It can result from a number of issues including parasites, illness or agenetic problem with the intestinal lining. It is not unusualto see this with Dwarf Hotots.

Pam

I thought white urine meant too muchcalcium. :? So there is something seriously wrongwith Pristine? :(

Excess calcium is excreted in the urine, theclear (sometime whitish or foamy)gel excreted from the rectumis something different.

Pam

Mocha would have white urine fairly often atthat age too. Is Pristine eating alfalfa or timothyhay? I would have her eating timothy. I think she'sa little young to switch completely over to timothy pellets.You could mix the alfalfa and timothy pellets and feed her that for amonth or two before doing a total switch.

I have her on timothy hay and alfalfapellets. I mixed some timothy pellets into her alfalfapellets over my lunch hour. I hope that's okay.Maybe I can just keep mixing the two until she's 6 months??

Lissa wrote:
Ihave her on timothy hay and alfalfa pellets. I mixed sometimothy pellets into her alfalfa pellets over my lunch hour.I hope that's okay. Maybe I can just keep mixing the twountil she's 6 months??
Yeah, that's probably what I would do.

Latest posts

Back