Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MamaToOnyx

Reaction score
Hi everyone! My little 6 year old netherland dwarf boy Onyx has been making some funny noises during his sleep. He is behaving 100% normally otherwise, if not the happiest he has been! We just moved house and he is free range and has the largest area so far to run around in and loves it. He often sleeps next to me while I’m on the couch and lately I’ve started hearing these strange whimpering or whining noises while he sleeps. They aren’t loud, and he stops as soon as you pat him/wake him up. I wasn’t sure at first if it was a bird cooing outside until i realised it was him! Otherwise he doesn’t seem to make any noises during breathing, so i’m not sure if he has respiratory issues or he is just dreaming about something? Should I take him to the vet? Any help is appreciated. Thank you! BE5E1448-1648-4BCA-8DC6-43ED1AD9875D.jpeg

Could he be making snoring sounds? As rabbits age, their soft palate can get a bit floppy and lead to snoring type sounds, particularly when sleeping. As long as it isn't causing airway obstruction and respiratory issues, it normally isn't a problem. I have a few little dwarfs that snore when they sleep, though they've really done it most of their lives.

Yes, reacting to dreams is possible to. I've had rabbits do that as well. Little whimpers and twitching while they sleep.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Respiratory/Differential/respira_diff.htm (noisy breathing in rabbits)

If there are no obvious respiratory problems normally and he seems fine in every other respect,i wouldn't worry.Just keep an eye on him.My male,Robbie does it all the time when he's asleep or dozing,and while it alrmed me at first,it quickly became obvuious that he's just happy,relaxed and dreaming or nodding off into a rabbit 'trance'.If anything it shows he's happy to let his guard down in your company-feel honored1

Latest posts

Back