Whichpellet is better?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michellexgix

Reaction score
Which pellets would be better?

Pellet A:

Beneficial Fibre 39%
Crude Fibre 19%
Protein 13%
Vitamin C 50mg/kg
Vitamin D3 * 1,500 iu/kg
Vitamin E * 20mg/kg
Copper ** 12mg/kg
Vitamin A * 15,00 iu/kg
Oils 3%
Ash 5.5%
Calcium 0.90%
Phosphorous 0.51%

Grass, Oat Bran, Wheat, Soya Bean Hulls, Lucerne, Peas, Yeast, Molasses, Mint, Soya Oil, Calcium Carbonate, Monocalcium Phosphate, Ligno-Cellulose, Fructo-oligosaccharides 0.25%, Salt, Vitamins and Minerals, Contains Natural Antioxidants. No artificial colours, flavours or preservatives. Vitamins are guaranteed until Best Before date.

Or

Pellet B:

Protein. 14%
oil. 4%
fibre. 19%
ash. 8%
calcium. 0.6%
phosphorous. 0.4%
vitamin a. 10000 IU/kg
Vitamin d3. 1000 IU/kg
Vitamin e. 50mg/kg
Copper. 10mg/kg

Alfalfa, whole wheat, wheat feed, soybean hulls, flaked peas, linseed (min 2%), soybean meal, sugar beet pulp, soybean oil, salt, minerals, L-lysine, DL-methionine, aniseed & fenugreek oil.

the first one sounds slightly better as it has a lot more fibre, doesn't have things like wheat, alfalfa and linseed, and it states that there are no artificial colours, flavours or preservatives. It does have molasses though which is probably the binder. This can make your bunny overweight depending on the other foods he eats.

Some of the other things in it though I am not sure what they are, so maybe best if someone with more experience has a look :)

The first pellet I listed was Burgess Excel. Its what my guys are on now. They love it. But just someone told me that shes moving hers to science selective (pellet b) because its better.

I agree with Kizza about the two pellets. And she is right on about the molasses. I have been researching extensively regarding rabbit feeds. I only found one I feel good about giving my rabbits:

Oxbow's Organic Bene Terra Rabbit Feed.

It is not cheap though and it only comes in a 3 lb bag. The best price I got was $8.50 USD. No molasses like most feeds, no sodium lignosulfonate like American Pet Diner's feed.

Grass-based pellets that rabbits don't love or hate. That means they don't ignore their hay because their pellets are too tasty. That's a good thing ;)

Perhaps you might find one in your area that has a similar ingredient listing? The ingredients are pretty ideal. Good luck on your food hunt! :biggrin:

Just remember that the ingredients are listed from most to least, and all the ingredients that come before the first oil source make up approx 75% of the food, so keep that in mind when you find a questionable ingredient before that first oil source... means your bun is getting a fair bit of it.

Molasses is essentially a sweet and can do 2 things: make your bunny overweight, and rot their teeth over time. :(

Latest posts

Back