Which trees are safe?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitelop

Morgan
Reaction score
I know that apple trees are safe to feed branches and twigs from. Also willows are safe.

How about pear trees?

Its really hard to find a straight answer on this. Some sites say yes they're safe and some say no.
I know that pitted fruit trees(peach, plum, nectarine) aren't safe when they're fresh because of arsenic or some other harmful poison, but they're safe when they're DRIED for a month or more.
Does anyone know anything about that?

I don't have any apple trees anymore, and no willow trees. But I do have pear trees and a peach tree. (Not that I'll feed peach branches) But if I can feed pear tree twigs and leaves and what-not then I would love to do that.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

I've read dried pine is ok. Most of the rabbit toys made with wood blocks are pine. I just bought a 1x2 at home depot, chopped it into a bunch of different sized blocks, drilled holes through them, and strung them on a piece of chain. The buns love them, chew on them all the time. If you don't want to do anything fancy, you could just give her a short length of a pine board to chew on. Hard pine cones(not the soft ones) that are dried out, are also a great chew toy. My buns like to toss them around. Unfortunately they also end up tossing them in the water dish :)

My guys get pine, willow, alder, birch, apple, pear and hazel branches and twigs. My vet considers them safe and I've yet to have any adverse reactions. :)

Latest posts

Back