Which is better for rabbits timothy or meadow hay.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katie94

Reaction score
I’m confused which hay I should get for my rabbits. I’m changing hay supplier and have a choice between the two, I don’t really know if one is better than the other. I tried them with a sample of both and they ate both and were probably more keen on the meadow hay. I’m unsure which would be best to go with though.

I would suggest Timothy Hay just because if you ever can not buy from this buyer and run out of hay it is going to be harder to find a small bale of meadow hay versus finding a small bale of timothy hay.

I feed my bunnies meadow hay because that’s the only hay I have and get bulks from farmers. My meadow hay is mostly timothy hay but can have other grass and sticks. Sometimes they have thorns, not the funniest when grabbing the hay with the hand 🤣

I get one of each, that way if there's a shortage you know she will like whichever she is used to. Besides as was explained here, previously (love this forum), they get more variety and enjoy that, therefore, likely to eat more. It cost a little more initially, but I'm all set for months to come!

Timothy hay is generally just timothy grass, and it's often more consistent in its quality - hence why it's generally a little more expensive here in the UK. All the timothy hay I've bought was usually green and great quality (aside from petsathome hay, but they don't have anything good for buns). Now, meadow hay is usually easiest to find here (the only type of hay you can find at Morrisons for example) and is the cheaper option of the two. Meadow hay, in my experience with it, has been a little inconsistent in quality - sometimes it would be great, sometimes it would be stringy. And unlike timothy hay, it's often a mix of soft grasses rather than one of the same grass (like timothy).
My rabbits personally favour timothy hay over the two but will eat both just fine - and in the end, as long as they're eating enough of either, they would probably be in good health.

So both would be a fine option, there is no right or wrong answer to be honest. Whatever works best for you! If you are having a hard time deciding, just factor in things like budget, allergies, and of course, your rabbits opinion.

Both! Best to give a variety of hay, it all has slightly different nutrients and if you give several types then it''s not a big problem if a new batch is not to their liking. At the moment I have timothy and orchard from timothyhay.co.uk and timothy and rye and Ings from Hay and Straw.

Timothy is twice expensive than meadow, but also you can get very different quality timothy hay, I buy green timothy with dust extracted etc and they eat it absolutely all, and other timothy is like yellowish good quality as well and it is also timothy but different. It depends also on their technologies. I buy meadow hay as well, I have 2-3 types of hay and use for different feeders and times, I buy also chopped meadow hay to use to top their litter boxes I find that they eat it almost all when it is in short pieces.
I have to try rye hay as well can't find it with delivery still but someday I will.
I bought a few big bales online and it was stated meadow hay but it was very good stalky and definitely mostly timothy hay. But you never know, I've tried to get more from same seller after and it was rubbish so hay is my fav headache tbh, I have a few suppliers and with different prices and all but just making sure not all hay is coming from the same seller, too risky. Maybe someone was more lucky but in my experience even same seller can have very good hay and then not so good hay so just don't keep all eggs in one basket, use alternative suppliers.

I’ve just placed an order for a box of each! As there is no nutritional advantage between the two it seems to make a lot of sense to have variety and options in case a batch isn’t too their liking or supply is an issue. This was very helpful for my decision thank you all :)

I’ve just placed an order for a box of each! As there is no nutritional advantage between the two it seems to make a lot of sense to have variety and options in case a batch isn’t too their liking or supply is an issue. This was very helpful for my decision thank you all :)
Great stuff, please share your experience with us as well 🙃

I wish I could find a chompy type hay that doesn't get stuck in my lionhead's fur but helps keep his teeth filed.
He hates being touched and when he gets hay stems and other hay caught he gets matted

I think it depends on which one your rabbits prefer ! Both Meadow and Timothy are good for rabbits. What I do is give my rabbit Meadow hay as her main hay, and I give Timothy for his "treat hay".

I feed my bunnies meadow hay because that’s the only hay I have and get bulks from farmers. My meadow hay is mostly timothy hay but can have other grass and sticks. Sometimes they have thorns, not the funniest when grabbing the hay with the hand 🤣
Haha true! I see we share a similar situation, although luckily my supplier spares me and my bunnies of thorns. Meadow mixed with occasional random herbs is also the only thing avaliable here.There are sometimes real fat and even hollow stalks in there, 2-4mm in diameter, and the boys make such a racket with those drumsticks in the plastic litter boxes XD
Lucky for me the boys just jump on the stuff.

This time Timothy was the firm favourite of the two so a good job I didn’t pick just meadow 🤣

Attachments

• 3AF50530-8BE2-4959-96B4-23B5C069581F.jpeg
    3AF50530-8BE2-4959-96B4-23B5C069581F.jpeg
    301.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 028C5512-ECD7-4419-9752-ABED8E641938.jpeg
    028C5512-ECD7-4419-9752-ABED8E641938.jpeg
    333.4 KB · Views: 10
Wow 1 day later and already have much bigger and lighter poops. I really underestimated the difference a good quality hay makes I’m so glad I took the plunge and swapped (even if it costs twice the price) 🙈

Attachments

• DC358215-0A08-42CD-8145-D658C0AFC5C7.jpeg
    DC358215-0A08-42CD-8145-D658C0AFC5C7.jpeg
    102.9 KB · Views: 4

Latest posts

Back