Which do you prefer

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What flooring to use?

• plywood covered in stick on tiles

• plywood covered in vinyl fabric

• coroplast that has been sanded to provide traction

• other (please specify)

Results are only viewable after voting.

ldoerr

Reaction score
I have got the cubes on order (will pick up tomorrow) for the new cage. I am now debating on which flooring I should go with. I have it narrowed down to a few possibilities. The first is plywood covered in either linolium tiles OR vinyl fabric. The other choice is coroplast that has been sanded to provide traction. Which of these choices would you go with? I am planning on picking all the aterials up tomorrow morning so would like help making this choice SOON. Hope that the pole worked :)

Last edited:
I'm really liking the vinyl that I put over my linoleum because it was too slippery. The vinyl gives much better traction and my rabbit doesn't slip around at all, and she hasn't been able to chew it up either. The linoleum tiles I used were way too slippery. I guess if you could find linoleum with a textured non slip surface. Price wise, the vinyl came to less than $0.33 a sq. foot. So it's the cheapest flooring I've tried so far, but you do have to have some sort of hard base under it, but you could pretty much use any thing you want. You could use cardboard and just tape pieces together to make a sheet big enough, and tape the edges of the vinyl to the underside of the cardboard. If you want to use something sturdier, you could go with the thinnest cheapest sheet boarding you can find. I think hardboard is pretty cheap and relatively strong. It's a pressed board less than 1/4" thick and really smooth on one side. Here you go, here's a link for what it is. It's 4x8 and less than $10 a sheet.

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=15483-46498-SS1254825&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=3014304&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

I just haven't liked linoleum at all besides for ease of cleaning, but the vinyl is just as easy to clean. I don't think I could use coroplast as my bun would be sure to chew it up, I guess if I protected the edges it could work if sanding it gave it enough texture to make it so it's not slippery.

Last edited:
I like the plastic chair mat things. I have them for my cages, and they work great. They fit on the carpet good, and provide a water-proof layer. I think it is a cheap option, and they are wash/moppable, are light, provide traction, are thick, and since they fit closely to the ground, are mostly chew-proof. You can cut them to size easily, and they come in avariety of sizes. I got a 20ft. roll for 10.00$ (CAN), and it has survived many a chewing/scratching/biting efforts by my guinea pigs, dog, cats, hamster, and other peoples rabbits'. Just my opinion.

I like the plastic chair mat things. I have them for my cages, and they work great. They fit on the carpet good, and provide a water-proof layer. I think it is a cheap option, and they are wash/moppable, are light, provide traction, are thick, and since they fit closely to the ground, are mostly chew-proof. You can cut them to size easily, and they come in avariety of sizes. I got a 20ft. roll for 10.00$ (CAN), and it has survived many a chewing/scratching/biting efforts by my guinea pigs, dog, cats, hamster, and other peoples rabbits'. Just my opinion.

I've got something similar in my cage, was $10 for a BIG roll of it at home depot... perfect width for a 2-grid-wide cage, so I only had to cut it to fit the length. works well, waterproof, easy to take out to clean and my little brats haven't even tried to destroy it (so far, anyway :p).

this is what I got:

DSCF04402_zps0dce3751.jpg

Jennifer - I tried looking that up on home depots website and could not find it. I ended up going with paneling (think VERY thin plywood that looks nice). I also got a pack of this vinyl fabric to go over the paneling. We bought 2 sheets of the paneling and cut them today. I also picked up 2 boxes of the grids at sears (got the site to store price). I got all the grids together that I am able to before I have to bring it to Brenham. My guess is that I will have 1-3 hrs of work to do on the cage once I get it to its destination. (LOTS of stuff besides the cage has to go in my car).

Latest posts

Back