which bunny to adopt

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SharrBarr

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
It's my first time on this forum. I have decided to adopt a bunny or bunnies....will be my first time owning a rabbit.

I have been speaking to several local rescue groups as well as visiting local shelters. I've done so much research over the past couple of months. And it's taking me forever to decide which ones to adopt.

One of the bunnies (mini holland hop) that I'm interested in is at a shelter and has been there for 6 months. I also met a bonded pair of rabbits from one of the rescue groups and absolutely loved and adored them (mini holland lop and a nether land dwarf).

I know that the bunnies with rescue groups are "safe" however they still need homes.

Any recommendations whether to adopt from a rescue group or from the shelter? Anyone that can shed light on my situation will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Sharr

Either way you are rescuing a rabbit so there isn't a wrong answer. But there are a few things you can consider. Many shelters tend to be less rabbit knowledgeable than rabbit rescues. Their vets may also not know rabbits well. Do you know if they neuter their rabbits? Some shelters do not, while most rescues do.

So one consideration might be (if the one is not fixed) whether or not you want to deal with the hassle and cost of surgery.

Another consideration would just be whether or not you would prefer a single rabbit or a bonded pair. Along with that would be your assessment of how the bunnies seem to view you. Some rabbits take a liking to certain individuals moreso than to others.

Anyway, those are just some thoughts...

Let us know what you decide!

If it's your first time owning rabbits, I would suggest taking a bonded pair. I am a strong advocate of having rabbits living in pair or groups if at all possible, as they are sociable animals by nature. No matter how hard we try, we cannot speak rabbit and we are not able to spend every waking moment with them. I suggest you read this article about that matter :
http://rabbit.org/faq-should-i-get-a-second-rabbit/
Watching rabbits snuggling together is one of the greatest pleasures in life anyway ^^
Nevertheless, bonding rabbits is the most challenging thing rabbit owners are faced with. It is not always the case, but it can be a gruesome, long (I've known of rabbits who took more than a year to get along!) and complicated process which requires patience and a good understanding of rabbits. Sometimes, you just put the rabbits together and they are best friends forever by magic, but they can also try to kill each other and you can never know beforehand.
So, unless you get a "it's THAT rabbit" moment (which happens, I fell in love with my first rabbit at first sight and she will be the rabbit of my life forever even if I love the others to death too ^^), I think considering a bonded pair is a good idea. As stated by Blue eyes, they will be neutered too which saves a lot of money and worry (leaving a rabbit to the vet is never pleasant).
And, think about it, you'll be saving 2 rabbits instead of one - win win situation, really XD

I would suggest focusing on the rabbit and if you like them rather than the rescue/shelter they come from. The are advantages and disadvantages to both rescues and shelters, but neither is really better or worse. If you like one rabbit more than another, then adopt that one. I know it can be hard to choose, but don't focus on where the rabbit is, but on the rabbit itself.
Do consider the difference between a single and a bonded pair. A pair is going to be more expensive since you need more food, litter, and vet bills can be more. With a single, you may want to get another rabbit to bond in the future, and that can lead to other issues if they don't bond.
I tend to go with my gut when 'picking' a rabbit. If it doens't feel right or I have doubts about that rabbit, I am probably right. I tend to see one and know they are right for me.

I agree with what everyone else is saying. Either way you're giving a bunny a home.

I think however, the one that's been there for six months might be a good one to pick, if you are new to rabbits, one might be the way to go. And it may be easier for you to bond with him or her. You know what I mean? :)

Good luck with your decision, post lots of pics and let us know what you decide to do! ~

Also look into what kind of characteristics you want in a rabbit. For example, does it matter if your rabbit will be litter trained or if they are going to be easily handled. Then decide after meeting the rabbits!

I recently adopted my first rabbit from a shelter. All shelters are different so don't assume, contact them directly. Not all shelters are as good as the one I found. The shelter I found (a city shelter) had its own dedicated small species department with two full time staff who specialize in rabbits.They do not adopt out a rabbit unless it's fixed, vet checked (they use a rabbit-savvy vet) and microchipped. They helped me through every step of the way, providing a lot of background info and pamphlets, interviewing me thoroughly to find out what my household is like (to match the best rabbit with me) and letting me meet the rabbits before deciding. They even wanted to see pictures of my cage and setup before they'd allow me to adopt, and gave me good advice on the layout of the cage I had built.

They also recommended that I consider adopting a second rabbit in the future and they allow adopters to bring their rabbit back to meet with the shelter rabbits, to get an idea which will get along. Then they make themselves available afterwards so you can ask them any questions about the bonding process. Of course, they also frequently have rabbits who are already bonded.

So I definitely advise looking at a few shelters in your area before making a final decision. There are plenty of good rabbit rescues as well, of course. I wasn't thrilled with the rescue in my area for a few reasons, but like shelters they are all different. Look for a place that asks you a lot of questions and in turn is happy to answer any questions YOU have.

They should not be in such a rush to get rid of a rabbit that they don't care where it's going to. In fact, they should not be afraid to tell you if a rabbit you've set your heart on isn't suitable for your living situation. That's what happened with me, I found two that I loved (based on "nice colour" and "so cute with those lop ears") but they would have been too shy to handle being around my cats and dogs.

It's also a good idea for a first time adopter to be cautious about adopting a rabbit that hasn't been in the shelter for very long. It takes a while for staff to get to know a rabbit. When you're considering a rabbit, ask how long it's been there and ask about how well they know its personality.

Those are the things I learned when adopting. It sounds like you're really doing your homework, that's a great start to finding the right rabbit. Good luck!

Most of our rescues came from shelters. Our last 2, Cosmo and Hopscotch were almost out of time and had a date for euthanasia. They are both a handful and Hoppes was very aggressive. Time and patience and they are both great--come when you call, follow you all around and ALWAYS wanting attention.

Latest posts

Back