Where to put rabbit when I’m not home

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kora

Reaction score
I free roam my rabbit in my room, but only when supervised because I have a dog that has killed one of my rabbits before. Currently, I’m trying to redecorate/organize my room and utilize my space more sufficiently. I’m trying to make a designated “rabbit area” to keep my rabbit in when I can’t supervise her, and I have two options I’m thinking about:

1.) In my closet. I’ve done this before, and it worked out fairly well. My closet is approx. a good 4x6 feet, so there’s plenty of space. There are a few cons, though. There’s slightly poor ventilation if I keep the door closed, and it does get kinda hot. Plus, the rabbit fur gets all over ALL of my clothes, and it isn’t ideal for me to always be covered in rabbit fur. I would also have to put the bale of hay that I keep in there in my room, and my grandma complains about the smell, even though I don’t think it’s bad at all.

2.) I have a platform bed that I was thinking I could wrap CC grids around like a bed skirt. It’s a queen sized, so I think there’d be enough area. My only worry is the height. There’s about 16 inches of height, and I was wondering if that’s too little of space for her? If it’s not, then I personally think this is the better of the two options because there’s more ventilation, and it’s a lot cooler. I would also say she’d feel a bit more secure because my bed being on top provides a cover.

I would only put her in the “designated rabbit area” while I’m not home and at night while my dog sleeps in my room. Maybe not even at night because my dog knows better than to try and hurt my rabbit while I’m around. If neither of these options are sufficient for my rabbit, please do let me know, and I’ll try to figure something else out.

I just discovered that her cage is too tall to fit under the bed. If I were to go with that option, should I just get rid of the cage altogether?

I think I would make the bed higher. Either by putting bricks, pallet blocks, or anything under the legs or make something from wood. And a step to get in and out, not so much because of the height but to avaid having a rabbit under your feet when you get up.

That might work, but I’m worried my rabbit might start chewing at the wood. And I definitely would need the step for me because that would make my mattress about 32 inches off the ground lol.

16 inches of hight in my opinion is plenty of space for a rabbit. I think wrapping CC grids around your bed would be the best idea. It would give her light and ventilation.

Latest posts

Back