Where to buy wholesale/cheap material for making rabbit toys

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gelly

Gelly
Reaction score
Rabbit chew toys are so expensive and they’re honestly not too hard to make. I want to try making some wood chew hanging toys and play tables.

Does anyone know where I can buy wholesale/cheap/bulk materials that are rabbit safe?

I live in NYC so I can’t just go and pick some branches off my local poplar trees lol.

Some examples of materials are wood rounds, sticks, blocks, loofah, etc.

I’m afraid to just get from anywhere since I don’t know if the stuff has been treated/is rabbit safe. So if anyone has any experience making rabbit toys, please share!

Untreated 1 x 1 boards from a hardware/home improvement store can be used if you have the means to cut them. You could get a 6' board for a few bucks.

Very few of my rabbits ever bothered with chew toys though. They preferred cardboard or wicker/seagrass mats.

My rabbits have never really cared for toys. Cardboard boxes of all sizes, with some holes cut in them and stacked and taped together have always been their favorite things. They like hay to move around and some have enjoyed digging.

I bought a cat exercise wheel for my last rabbit because he loved running laps. Going to see if my new one will take to it. So far he mostly loves climbing, the higher the better.

I think I'm going to go the route of the grass and chew mats.
I'm in middle of a pen remodel. Trying out new flooring, larger space.
Successful toys for my rabbit have been willow balls, applewood sticks (LOVES), baby cups and keys, balsa blocks, cardboard (but only when we hold it so there's resistance for him).

Rabbit chew toys are so expensive and they’re honestly not too hard to make. I want to try making some wood chew hanging toys and play tables.

Does anyone know where I can buy wholesale/cheap/bulk materials that are rabbit safe?

I live in NYC so I can’t just go and pick some branches off my local poplar trees lol.

Some examples of materials are wood rounds, sticks, blocks, loofah, etc.

I’m afraid to just get from anywhere since I don’t know if the stuff has been treated/is rabbit safe. So if anyone has any experience making rabbit toys, please share!

I tried putting pellets in a closed cardboard egg carton. That way they flip and chew it to get their fav stuff.

the dollar tree has untreated wood craft stuff you can try. I just started doing the applewood sticks. My dudeslove them. They originally wouldn’t touch them but I stuck a little chunk of cardboard on each end to make them like a dumbbell and then they were able to toss and gnaw it. Now I just need to put the stick in the pen and they go to town on it. I bought a bulk pack of 250g which is about 50 perfect sized sticks off Amazon

250g and 500g Natural Apple Sticks Small Animals Molar Wood Treats Toys Chinchilla Guinea Pig Hamster Rabbit Gerbil Parrot Bunny and Small Animals Chew Stick Toys Treats https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BBM1YL...t_i_63GFQ7VH8RDGJ7RNDC59?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

There’s lots on Etsy which I wanted to try but with that rhdv2 virus out there I don’t want to worry about if the person properly sanitized them.

But my dudes love that mailing/butcher brown paper. Nice and noisy and easy to toss around.

I also have a cardboard cat house they love tochew on. They even Shawshanked it a little. Lol. I want to put a mini movie poster over the hole. Lol

If you are looking for enrichment I like to toss their pellets around their pen like I’m feeding chickens. This lets them forage and hunt. I shake the pellets for a few seconds to get them all hyped for feeding and then start to sprinkle. 263648A2-589D-46CD-ACCB-769EFB6110ED.jpegC8791C0D-5D2F-4995-B28B-5BD9C27EBD1C.jpeg

Latest posts

Back