Where do I put my buns

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raven123

Reaction score
So I recently got my fuel Skylar spayed 3 weeks ago. I feel bad for her because she’s in a playpen but Hermione gets to free roam the rest of the room. Now my mom said it’s ok if I start putting my room back to normal and stuff. At first I didn’t want to put them back because I wanted to keep them out of my room until they’re bonded so when they are bonded then they will be in Neutral territory. Now I’m not sure because Hermione is already dominant over Skylar, I can tell because Skylar always grooms Hermione through the bars and never the other way around. I was thinking that maybe Skylar could free roam my room until she can be bonded with Hermione since Hermione would already be dominant. After they are bonded they will both be in my room anyways. I just want to know if it could be a problem if they are in two different rooms during the bonding process or if I should keep them in the same room (separated by a playpen) or if it would be ok if Skylar already lives in my room. Also would having Skylar in my room until they are bonded be a problem. I am thinking it wouldn’t be because Hermione would be dominant but now I’m not sure. I want a second opinion so what do you guys think?

I would not put either rabbit in the space you intend to ultimately house them. Keeping them both out of your room until they are bonded is a sound idea.

If you put her in your room, she may claim it as her territory (even if she isn't dominant). Females are notoriously territorial so it isn't a risk I would want to take.

Right now, it isn't ideal that Hermione gets way more space than her. It could lead to problems if they are ever allowed to roam there after bonding. Instead, he should also be confined to a pen and she should be allowed the opportunity to roam the room while he's confined. Rabbits understand that one is getting way more freedom than the other. The current setup is only reinforcing his dominance (and his territory). They should both have equal roaming time.

Either Hermione could have his own separate pen, or the two can swap spaces. If they swap, then Hermione gets put in Skylar's pen while Skylar get to roam about.

So you’re saying I should swap their enclosures. Why should I do that?

Didn't realize they are both females. That's fine. Doesn't change the process.

Swapping areas is commonly a part of the bonding process. It allows each of them to get used to the other's scent and spreads both their scents in the areas to help ward off territory claims.

Take a look at the attached PDF for more info on bonding. The section about swapping spaces is on page 19.
https://rabbit.org/articles/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Bonding-Bunnies-PPforrabbit.org_.pdf

Thank you, I have swapped enclosures now and I hope it helps. They do get along very well in neutral territory and they don’t have scuffles between the bars so I have high hopes. Just a couple more weeks and I can start bonding!

I have swapped their enclosures and Skylar is now free roaming the furnace room while Hermione is in the playpen. The playpen is about a third the space Skylar has. Unfortunately I do not have a second playpen.

Latest posts

Back