When will be the right time to rehome my bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hermelin

Reaction score
I’m planning to rehome one of my neutered bucks. Should I wait a couple of years, I can have him for 3 years without a trouble and keep on working with his trust towards humans or rehome him this year.

He gets yearly vaccinations, have insurance and at the end of this month will get a microchip so if he runs away he at least have some identification. He have a tendency to escape, even when roaming the house he have manage to sneak outdoors.

So I put a lot of money on my bunnies every year with yearly check ups and vaccines.

Why I want to rehome him it’s because he have moved into the house and get 12 hours cage time and I have to switch between my other buck to roam the house. Or will it be okay that he get 12 hours cage time every day and spend 12 hours outside the cage.

The only problem are that the cage is quite small for him and he can’t play in it as my other buck can do. The best for him would be free roaming all the time and I wish I could provide him with that.

Sometimes I can neglect him during the day because I’m not socializing with him. Because I’m always tired and have 2 other bunnies that also need attention. So he gets a little left behind because he’s scared of humans. But I still train him and interact with him everyday but not as much that he really needs.

I’m worried that making him move away, that he will regress and become aggressive towards humans again. When he get to a new home, I remember how scared and stressed he was the first months I owned him. He even was so scared that he growled and could even scream while attacking.

I had to put down a lot of work on him, to make him the bunny he’s today. He still have a long way to go and have recently started to interact with the family and other people.

I feel like a bad owner towards him, when he’s in the cage and feel guilt for not providing him with the best.

If I were you I would try to spend more time with him vs. your other 2 bunnies so he is okay with humans. And if you are willing to spend some more money he seems to like being outside so if you get a rabbit run or a chicken coop (basically the same thing) and during nice days he can go outside and roam around when your home or if you trust him when your not. But I wouldn't because the weather can change very fast without notice. I wouldn't sell him because I don't think he could go to a as good of home as you have and it would add a lot more stress to his already stressful situation. Otherwise if you do find someone that can give him what he needs try to introduce the person first for at least like a week then they should put him in a quite room in their house where he can roam around the room 24/7. And if you can visit for a bit it might make it seem like he is still at your house. I mean I don't know like for sure about this stuff it just kind of makes sense in my head? I never researched this so I'm not saying it will work but I hope this helped even just a little!:)

I have outdoor cage with a run (10 sq m for my outdoor bunny)

He just love escaping and running away, don’t know how many times I’ve panicked over him escaping his encloser or sneaking out from the house.

He lived outdoor first until he could cooperate with humans walking around him. Before he couldn’t be in the same space as humans without panicking. So he’s becoming better and better, he have already started to let other people pet him and approach him. He often decide which people that are allowed to get close to him.

I just feel bad with him being in the cage for a few hours. Maybe when I move to my own place I can upgrade the indoor cage instead of a normal rabbit cage which you buy from a pet store.

Do you have any spare rooms? or even just use your room and close the door so its just him and keep him in there until he is use to humans and hopefully won't be bothered by the other rabbits so you can let them all out together and they won't fight.

The indoor cage it’s in my bedroom, the only problem are that I have not bunny proofed my room. I’m not 100% sure he won’t pee in my bed also.

I’m planning to fix my room after my exam, so it will be the end of this month and I will have to see if I can make the room bunny proofed or not.

He have been traumatized by my doe, so now he attacks all bunnies he sees. But at least he doesn’t care that I smell of another bunny on me when I handle him :)

At least he doesn't attack you when you smell like other bunnies. And the peeing on the bed isn't good... I have no clue how to stop that besides litter training but right now he is not in a place to be litter trained and I doubt you have the time to do it right now if you have an exam soon.

At least he doesn't attack you when you smell like other bunnies. And the peeing on the bed isn't good... I have no clue how to stop that besides litter training but right now he is not in a place to be litter trained and I doubt you have the time to do it right now if you have an exam soon.

He’s litter trained and go to the litter box but have lately started to use carpets as a litter box. Right now I don’t have time because I still have my summer break but working full time while studying for my exam which I have in 2 weeks. So this summer I have been really neglecting all my bunnies because of my work.

Truly wish I had the energy to spend the time with him. I can only wait until every thing calms down. I still have a lot of things to do which I still have not had time. Wonder where the summer break disappeared [emoji849]

Trying to fix money so I can afford everything to my bunnies and have money to buy the literature for the courses starting next month.

I spend at least 30 mins trying to interact with him everyday, which is training to seek contact with humans. Rest of the day he will just have my family and me walking pass him, talking a little or giving some leafy greens. My family will often try to interact with him and sometimes he will let them pet him. So he get human contact, more than my outdoor bun right now. Because the outdoor bun only have me interacting with her everyday. Which have almost disappeared because she will only see me twice during the day. That’s when I open up the hutch to the pen and when I lock her in during the night.

Latest posts

Back