When to neuter after adoption

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Folks,
We're just fresh into the rabbit world and recently, less than 3 weeks, picked up a rescue. He's a Rex and we're looking to neuter him. Problem is we don't know how old he is because he was a drop off. He's a good boy, litter trained, but fully intact and wanting to procreate.
I'm wondering how long should we be bonding with him before neutering? I don't want to have him just a month, then run him over to the vet for the snipping, just seems a bit heartless. What are your thoughts?

If the testicles are descended, go for it. Neutering is a good bit less invasive than spaying and normally isn't a traumatic experience at all (though do make sure the vet gives you a couple days of pain meds in case he needs them - sometimes they don't give any for males, just the shot at the time of surgery (which lasts 24h)). He'll be happier neutered, once hormones are no longer driving him crazy (takes 6-8 weeks after neutering for males' hormones to be 100% gone, by the way).

It may help (him some, but also you) the day before/of surgery to talk to him about what's going to happen and why. We have a freaking zoo (4 cats, 4 rabbits, 10 society finches, 7 diamond doves, 2 sugar gliders, a turtle and a praying mantis, lol) and I've always found that it helps to talk to the cats and rabbits when something unusual is going to happen or there's a big change (like moving or traveling). While they don't understand every word you say, they can tell something out of the ordinary is going on and they do a good job of reading your tone of voice and your emotional state. Being confident and reassuring when talking to your bunny can help him feel more comfortable about unusual happenings. Heck, I talked to our Nala today for a while before dropping her at the vet for a tooth trim.

I think something to consider, which will vary from rabbit to rabbit, is making sure your rabbit feels comfortable in his environment in your home before the neuter happens. A neuter can be a very stressful time for a rabbit, from the car ride there, smelling new smells at a vet, being anesthetized and waking up from in, and the recovery afterwards. I think it's important that your rabbit is able to view your home as a place of security and comfort, that way he is set-up mentally for a swift recovery upon his return home.

Latest posts

Back