When to give bene-bac and how much?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BentleyBun

Reaction score
bentley is on antibiotics baytril and Penicillin procaine, so i got some bene bac but I am not sure when to give it? should it be before or after the antibiotic? Also how much should i give? He is 2.75 lbs

I would say a few hours after giving antibiotics. When I've given once a day antibiotics, I will give the benebac at the 12 hour mark, but that's just because I can do it at their second daily feeding. When doing twice daily antibiotic dosing, I would say give the benebac 3-4 hours following meds. For how much, I just do one of the little scoop in a little water, for three 2lb rabbits, so I guess maybe a third of that for one. I've never been too exact with it.

Our DVM suggested a "unit" mark for the Bene-Bac Plus pet gel. Our gal was under 3 lbs. Unit mark noted on the plunger.

Q: Did your vet who scripted the Procaine and Baytril have a recommendation for how much?

Thanks for feedback @JBun, on spacing, in case we need to administer again.

@TreasuredFriend for Bene Bac? or the antibiotics? For benebac I forgot to ask when I went for my appointment so i thought to ask on here. As for the antibiotics, I am giving him 0.65 ml of baytril every 12 hours and 0.2 ml of the procaine injection every 48 hours.

Now this was a part I had a question if anyone happens to know. the penicillin is not the one with procaine and benzathine together, it is just procaine. There was no concentration on the bottle. I have read on here that is it is just procaine then it should be given every 24 hr because it is short acting. Would giving it every 48 hour not be as effective?

@JBun do you know if giving penG procaine (without the benzathine) every 48 hours is as effective as given every 24 hours? The concentration is 300K. I actually showed my vet the study done by Marcy Moore and emailed her as well. Marcey said that since its only Procaine, it should be injected every 24 hours but my vet instucted for eveyr 48 hours

From my understanding, because it's short acting it's better to be given every day. Though the resources for dosing do mention 48hr dosing for it too. But I personally would want to go with once daily dosing. If your vet won't change it, at least you are also doing daily baytril.

Latest posts

Back