When should you feed critical care? How much should a bunny eat before worrying?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doodlebugger

Reaction score
I have posted a thread over in Health and Wellness, but I wanted to ask this question because I can't get in touch with my rabbit savvy vet and her tech that is on duty tonight didn't have enough knowledge to give me answers.

Our rabbit is being treated for GI stasis and coccidia. She isn't eating as much as she normally does. She is eating some Timothy hay, an occasional pellet or two, and a few leaves of romaine greens. I suspect the medication they are giving her is causing some tummy upset possibly (Metaclopromide and Albon). We have critical care, but it stresses her out to feed it to her. When I do get her to take it, she gets about 3 ml., but the vet said she can have up to 18ml. I'm just worried about her and can't get her to the vet until morning. We have dealt with GI stasis in the past, as well as coccidia. But we have never had a rabbit that had both and never had a rabbit that went this long without eating a lot of food.

So, how much food is enough over the course of a day? Should I be feeding critical care every few hours right now until she starts eating "normally"?

Hi, I just came across your post and wondered how things are doing. I'm not a know it all, but I used to run a rabbitry for a about 15 years or so, and now I have my pet bunbun. I'd like to say, first off... Bunnies vary in sizes and so there is no certain amount of food for all. Netherland Dwarfs get a way smaller amount of feed than a giant breed who would be free fed at all times, and everything in the middle. My first thought in your post is, to switch your hay to prairie/grass hay. Thats the hay they really need. I know the stores insist on Timothy, but thats because they don't care about whats best. Rabbits need a high fiber diet. Without that, they get sick, and they really have a sensitive digestive system. Thats why they should have so much hay. Something that helps a rabbit start eating again 99% of the time is Dandelion leaves. This has so much for them that its almost medicine in itself. Lots vitamins, potassium, If you regularly feed it to bunnies, their immune system goes up as well. It helps with tummy issues so much. Regular yogurt adds the good bacteria that they need in their tummies as well. That has helped me plenty of times also. I would also give her fresh grass as well.... Fiber, fiber, fiber...

Latest posts

Back