When should I neuter?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taylor_wt

Reaction score
Hi,
My holland lop is 3 1/2 months old and lately he has been running in circles around me and "honking" and I know this has to do with mating behavior. What age did you guys get your bunnies neutered? I think he's just about ready but would like to get some more opinions.

Thanks in advance!

Males can be neutered as soon as testicles appear. I neutered my bun at 7 months only because I had to save up my allowance for it. I would have liked to get it done earlier though. Welcome to the forum!

There are many various answers depending on your vets skill, and your bunnies health. Best time is usually between 6months - 1.5 years. I personally chose 1 year mark to neuter my male so that he was full grown and in good overall health completely. As a baby they can be a bit weaker, and my bun had many issues as a wee one due to a bad breeder which required many vet visits in his first few months of being mine.

There are many various answers depending on your vets skill, and your bunnies health. Best time is usually between 6months - 1.5 years. I personally chose 1 year mark to neuter my male so that he was full grown and in good overall health completely. As a baby they can be a bit weaker, and my bun had many issues as a wee one due to a bad breeder which required many vet visits in his first few months of being mine.
I have 3 grown adult 3 year old females my husband wanted to breed upon getting them. But until I knew about rabbits more I didn't want to do that...What breed is your rabbit in your picture?? It looks similar to one of mine but she isn't a lop with her ears down....

I have 3 grown adult 3 year old females my husband wanted to breed upon getting them. But until I knew about rabbits more I didn't want to do that...What breed is your rabbit in your picture?? It looks similar to one of mine but she isn't a lop with her ears down....
My little guy is a Holland Lop, he looks purebred but condsidering what I saw of the breeder he may have dwarf mixed in.

As soon as an experienced vet is willing.

Waiting too long can cause issues in that naughty hormonal behaviors can become ingrained if allowed to continue for too long before neutering.

Most vets will neuter between 3-6 months old or as soon as the testicles descend; some have a weight requirement as well (for example, my vet had me wait for my girls to be 4-5 months old b/c they're dwarf breeds and he wanted them to be about 2 lbs - something about it being hard to find those tiny little ovaries, lol). As Blue eyes said, hormonal behaviors can become "learned" and continue long after neutering if you wait too long. While females really need to be spayed for health reasons, that's not really true of males - with males, it's behavioral reasons (and/or wanting to bond them with another bunny) that drives people to neuter.

It is worth noting that unneutered male rabbits tend to spray urine. They can shoot pee a good 6 feet in the air and for some reason really like to aim for peoples' eyes.

That alone, for me, would be reason to neuter as young as the vet allows... which, if you're lucky, is before the hormones truly start raging! On a side note, it does take up to 6-8 weeks for a male's hormones to be completely gone post-neuter.

Latest posts

Back