When should I neuter him?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaisyE

Reaction score
I just got my adult male bun yesterday, he was a rescue...I plan to neuter him, but when should I do it?

Should I do it ASAP or wait & give him a month or so to settle & bond with us...I just worry that when the time comes he'll hate us!

I don't want it to traumatize him or anything hes been thru a lot...I'm sure its easier on babies...anyone else get an adult fixed? How did they react afterwards?

Thanks in advance! :)

my boys were about 4.5 mos. old. they did so well!! back to normal within a few days!!! I would get it done asap then work on bonding and gaining trust!! best wishes!!!

It can depend on what he is like. If it is more relaxed and easy going, you could get it done sooner. If he is more skittish and taking longer to settle in, then give him some time.

Males tend to do well with neutering. They are typically back to normal within a few days.

My boy bunnies never seem traumatized by their neuters. A day or so after they acted like nothing even happened. They were both over a year when they were neutered (that's when I got them).

Waiting or ASAP it's really up to you. I don't think it will be detrimental to do it right away or to wait a few months.

Peeta was fine after his neuter now he did hold a grudge for a while BC he hated being given medicine.

They really only seem out of it the day of the neuter and do get over that quickly. Giving the pain medication can be a pain, but some treats and petting after can make it better.
When I got Felix done, he was ready to come home around 3pm and was a bit dopey, but otherwise alert. It took a couple days for his eating habits to return to normal, but he was eating mostly normally the day after and munching veggies the day of surgery. He didn't like getting the medication. He was pretty much his normal self the next day, but he is also pretty out going and doesn't stress easily.

My suggestion is to at least give it a few weeks. That way, you get to know your bunn's personality a bit and if he's acting odd after the surgery it will be easier to pick up on :) Otherwise, it doesn't really matter.

Thank you! I will wait then, don't want to do too much too soon. I got to know him pretty well at my store, but hes acting pretty skittish since I brought him home...I think hes a bit overwhelmed.
Glad to know they cope well with the surgery :)

Latest posts

Back