When my bunnies ears go back does that mean she's scared?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When mine do that, either of them, they are super relaxed. Like "I'm so comfy and happy now, I can't even keep my ears up!"

You have to sort of take all of the rabbit's body language as a whole, in context, to figure out what any particular thing means.

Having the ears back like this means, "I'm really relaxed, so much so that I don't really need to listen for anything bad."

7648_201551_450000004.jpg

7648_032200_270000000.jpg

This is especially true if combined with the "feet stretched back" pose and eyes half closed:
americansable_8578-7785.jpg

The "I'm scared" signal would be accompanied by an extremely alert body posture, ready to spring into action, with the eyes wide open and round, and the ears would more likely be up and alert than lying down:
englishspot-tortoise_8293-7825.jpg

Ears flat could also be aggressive, if accompanied by growling or boxing, I'm told - but I don't have any pictures of that, since I've never seen it.

It would really depend as mentioned before how their whole body looks not just the ears.When mine get annoyed they put one ear back slightly and I know to leave her alone or I get nipped at or thumped at.

My female netherland dwarf does that a lot and like others have said it depends on her body language. I can also tell if she wants to be petted just by her ears she will relax them when she wants to be petted if she doesn't want to be petted she holds them really tight to her head.

She loves me very much too and she'll even start licking my face at the same time when her ears go down when I'm holding her. Always when I go to pet her, her ears go down. There's never a moment when she lifts her ears when I'm petting her really.

Having ears down while being petted is a bunny that feels safe and happy :)

My bun will come up to me with her ears up and I know she wants a pat, but when I go to pick her up she tenses her body and starts to growl and kick until I hold her close to me and then she completely relaxes again. I think it just comes down to knowing your bunnyImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1399808680.018776.jpg

My bunny does that when something has startled her... Like if I clapped my hands when the house was really quiet, both of her ears will go back.

Latest posts

Back