When is the right time for the unbearable?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Binkyed

Reaction score
Our dear sweet 4 yo blue Flemish Giant had a tumor appear suddenly in November. Before the surgery they found another tumor on her back leg. They removed the rumors and she lost 3 pounds in one day. They biopsied the tumors which proved to be malignant. They consulted with U Penn exotics - they determined that her cancer was too deep into her bowels and stomach for her to be a candidate for radiation. They said take her home, let her heal and we will figure it out. After removing her own stitches, she had a second surgery to close everything up and add antibiotic beads to prevent infection. She was sent home with a collar of shame which she became expert at removing... She healed beautifully and was playing and solving puzzles expertly on Christmas Eve. 2 days later, she has lost use of her back legs and we found an egg sized tumor on one of her back legs. We saw the vet last night and the first thing he asked us was ‘Is it time?’. I was horrified - I am always hopeful. He said it’s most likely that her cancer has surrounded the spinal column. She has feeling in her feet, but can only commando crawl. He gave her Meloxicam and said if she’s not improved by 9am Saturday morning, then we should bring her in to PTS. This is all so unbearable. She is still eating, drinking, pooping, peeing.... she is unable to use the litter box. We have pads for her. She still has her feisty attitude. I don’t know what to do. My 19 yo son is just devastated.

If she still seems happy and any pain she has can be managed so she isn't suffering, I would consider giving her more time if I was in this situation. It's about quality of life and pain management. So consider these things. If she's in pain suffering and it can't be managed with medication, and she isn't coping well and isn't happy, then yes PTS is probably best, as hard as it is to decide to do.

Thank you. That’s what we have decided to do. She loved being petted and snuggled all day yesterday. She ate her celery and hay vigorously last night.

Am sorry she is having a hard time and hope things get better. As long as she has a quality if life would let her enjoy what she loves.

I'm so sorry for what you and your bun are going through! It's a heartbreaking decision. It's almost certainly just a matter of time since it sounds like the cancer metastasized... but if she still seems to have a decent quality of life, there's nothing wrong with giving her a little more time with your family. What really matters in the end is that you've given her a life full of love and joy during whatever time your family gets with her.

Latest posts

Back