When is the best time to get her spayed?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zebraprint

Reaction score
My Abby just turned 6 months old last week and I'm wondering if there's a "best time" for rabbits to be fixed.
She isn't showing any signs of aggression *knock on wood* or acting super hormonal... so I was wondering if it would be better to put it off until this summer when she's a year old. Would she respond better/heal faster if she was a bit older...? Otherwise I'd like to get it done sometime this month just to have it over with. Any suggestions?

It can be better to do it sooner to avoid those behaviours from starting. 6 months is when many vets will do it, some may do a bit earlier though. As far as healing, I am not sure if there is much difference between 6 months and 1 year. Younger rabbits do tend to heal faster though. Of course some rabbits to handle it better than others due to personality. Some just bounce back to normal faster than others.

If you can get her done now, then go for it. Putting it off doesn't really have benifits and could lead to problems with behaviour and even health issues (though not as common for young rabbits).

I don't know how long you'd have to wait for an appointment to have the spaying done, so you might as well get the process started now.

Just make sure to go to a good expeisnce rabbit vet. Often verys who are more into dogs and cats might not be as good with exotics. Ask lots of questions!:)

Latest posts

Back