When is it too soon for a new bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graceofangels

Reaction score
It's only been 2 and a half weeks since Thumper died, and I already have friends and family acquaintences asking me to take in their unwanted rabbits. I feel so bad, but I'm not sure if I'm ready. I just hate thinking of these animals in small cages with small children an their providers.

in my opinion it is never too soon... just introduce them slowly.. dont put them in the same cage right away..

We have lost three rabbits over the last few years. After the third, which was right after a long battle of illness, I said we wouldn't get another rabbit. Even though there were people wanting to give us a rabbit, or there were rabbits to be rescued, I could just not bring myself to take one in. First, I was afraid to love them and lose them. But I was also worried that I was trying to replace the bunny I just lost, and I didn't want the new one to be a replacement. I wanted any new bunnies to be brought in under happier circumstances. We waited a while, and I was still determined to not get any more. Then one day, while waiting for an appointment for our dog at our vet's office, we noticed a bunny in a cage in the waiting area. We asked what her story was, and we were told that she was a rescue from a hoarding case. The vet told us that she had been staying with her, but that she was concerned because this little bunny wouldn't do anything except sit in the corner of the cage. She would growl at anyone who tried to touch her. She said she was hoping to at least find this little girl a foster family. Then someone put the rabbit in my daughter's arms, and I knew that we had to at least give it a shot. A month later, and this little bunny was completely different! And our vet was amazed at her progress. But, still no one was interested in her. We decided to make her part of our family. So, give yourself time.....don't just take any rabbit that is offered to you. I know you don't like the thought of what their homes could be like, but they shouldn't be buying rabbits for their children, and there are other places that can take those rabbits. Wait until the right time for you. Good luck!

It always depends on the person. I find it easier to address my pain when I have a new rescue in my life, and I always have the desire to open my home to a new euthanasia-list bun, so I tend to acquire new rabbits not long after one passes, but everyone is so different that you should simply wait until you are ready and not a second before. Whatever you choose, it will be the correct answer.

It's a very personal decision. Don't let other people pressure you into anything and do it when you feel ready - there will always be poor rabbits to take care of. I tend to invest myself in another relationship as soon as one of my animals pass away to avoid thinking too much about it but I have to admit that it's also hard not to compare the newcomer with the one you've just lost and that sometimes I should have taken the time to think before diving head first into taking in a new animal...

Latest posts

Back