When is a rabbit a senior?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apollo’s Slave

Reaction score
Apollo will be turning four this year - kind of.
We don't really know his age, but he was approx 2 when we got him, and he'll be with us for two years in a few months. Anyway, I, of course, am still looking for a bun friend for him, for some reason it has been a way harder decision than before. But anyway, I was just wondering when a rabbit goes from being an adult to a senior? And maybe, since I'm here already, what is the youngest age rabbit you would adopt for a four-year-old?

Thanks in advance,
Malaya

Happy fourth birthday Appollo! While I think some large breeds can be considered seniors as young as four (and not even getting started on the senior designation in show rabbits which is even younger) I would consider senior to be when you start to notice signs of your rabbit appearing more elderly. It wasn't until Neal was 6 or 7 that I started to notice a decreased activity level and changes in fur quality, and he was a very large breed.

You know that you COULD bond him with any altered rabbit over the age of four to six months, but I personally aim for as close as possible to my rabbit's age when looking for a bond mate, for very sentimental reasons. I don't want either of my rabbits to greatly outlive their partner. I want them to have as long as possible together and as briefly as possible a time in the absence of each other as possible. If I were you I'd talk to some rescues, there are probably a TON of 3-5 year old rabbits who would be so lucky to be owned by you who may be having a hard time finding a home because people consider them to be seniors. Good luck, you will be a wonderful home for any little hopper you end up deciding to bond to Apollo

The age of the other rabbit doesn't necessarily matter for bonding, as long as they're already neutered/spayed and compatible personalities. So it's really dependent on what you want in regards to age. Though for the reason Mac189 mentioned, it's sometimes preferred to get a rabbit similar in age.

This seems a pretty accurate chart when comparing the age of small to medium breed rabbits to human years, to give you a better idea what stage of life your rabbit is at. For larger breed rabbits it's different, as they fully mature later and don't live as long.

Attachments

• 1626991048718.png
    1626991048718.png
    604.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Happy fourth birthday Appollo! While I think some large breeds can be considered seniors as young as four (and not even getting started on the senior designation in show rabbits which is even younger) I would consider senior to be when you start to notice signs of your rabbit appearing more elderly. It wasn't until Neal was 6 or 7 that I started to notice a decreased activity level and changes in fur quality, and he was a very large breed.

You know that you COULD bond him with any altered rabbit over the age of four to six months, but I personally aim for as close as possible to my rabbit's age when looking for a bond mate, for very sentimental reasons. I don't want either of my rabbits to greatly outlive their partner. I want them to have as long as possible together and as briefly as possible a time in the absence of each other as possible. If I were you I'd talk to some rescues, there are probably a TON of 3-5 year old rabbits who would be so lucky to be owned by you who may be having a hard time finding a home because people consider them to be seniors. Good luck, you will be a wonderful home for any little hopper you end up deciding to bond to Apollo
Thank you! I don't think Apollo would be a senior just yet, but I can tell he's not as springy as his two-year-old self - that might be his sore hocks though... he still loves to throw things at me, and jump on my bed, and all that mean rabbit stuff he does (jk, kinda). I am glad to hear that I've got a little while before he's officially an old man. I do also like a close age too - I definitely wouldn't get a baby bun (too much work haha). Apollo and Athena were the same age, to the approximated month of birth 🙈

The age of the other rabbit doesn't necessarily matter for bonding, as long as they're already neutered/spayed and compatible personalities. So it's really dependent on what you want in regards to age. Though for the reason Mac189 mentioned, it's sometimes preferred to get a rabbit similar in age.

This seems a pretty accurate chart when comparing the age of small to medium breed rabbits to human years, to give you a better idea what stage of life your rabbit is at. For larger breed rabbits it's different, as they fully mature later and don't live as long.
thank you! That chart is helpful! Glad to see that he'll be about the age of my parents haha. Not old, but old enough. I don't want this thread to sound morbid. God-willing, I get 10 (or more) years with my favourite furry brat. 😍

Latest posts

Back