When is a doe 'recovered' from having a litter?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Korr_and_Sophie

Reaction score
As part of the hopping club, we are refining on policy on breeding does. We aren't going to allow pregnant or nursing does to attend events or practises, but need to have a better idea on when they could come back to participating.

We are thinking to say at least 8 weeks after giving birth as some do wean earlier that others and we want to give them a chance to recover and get back into shape. The issue is that some would wean later, so they could wean the day before coming back and it could still be 8 weeks after giving birth. Would it be good to say at least 8 weeks and then add or 1-2 week after weaning?
Also, if the kits don't make it to weaning age, what would be a good rest period for the doe? Would it make a difference on the age of the kits, like a still born litter vs kits that are 3-4 weeks?

We're talking with a breeder we trust on the issue, so we're just getting the info we need from her. Why would they need another two weeks after weaning? From my understanding, around 8 weeks their pretty much healed. It doesn't matter if the kits are stillborn or not, the healing process would be the same for them all.

We are trying to discourage breeding anyway with the hopping rabbits anyways, so this rule would be rarely used anyway so we could probably use it on a rabbit to rabbit basis. Wording isn't that big of a deal. If the kits are still with them, then no. If the rabbit seems off in any way, then no. I would assume that each breed/doe is different. I think more individual basis would be appropriate.

I took SOME does to shows 2-2.5 weeks along, just because they LOVED being at shows. I do think if a rabbit is used to getting exercise them some practice is good to keep them in condition.

And 'recovering' will depend on the doe. Some does can come off a litter and you wouldn't know in a million years she had one. Other does can take a month or 2 to recover.

I have to agree with Crystal, every rabbit is different, just like every human is different. I have rabbits that have their babies completely weaned in 4 weeks and I have some that it takes 6 to 8 weeks.

I wait till 6 weeks to wean...once the 6 week day hits take some away then wait 2 days and take more away an so on.....after they are all weaned I wait at least a month for her to recover to her condition to consider breeding again.... i had a doe that had still borns and i waited a week and re bred her an she died trying to give birth that time :( very sad as she was my first and favorite doe

Case by case, really...some does nurse a couple pounds off their body even with free feed and then take a couple months after weaning to recover, others you really can't tell.

I would say that they should wait at least 3 days after giving birth, even to stillborns, but other than that, you'll have to go on individual condition.

I agree with the others, that it really depends. If you're looking to firm up an official club rule though, I would say that it should be 8 weeks from birth, plus an additional 2 weeks after as necessary. But first and foremost, you should make clear that you expect each breeder to use his or her own judgement, respectful of that timeframe.

Latest posts

Back