When do Holland Lop ears drop?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyMama21

Reaction score
IMG-20190606-WA0000.jpeg
Hi everyone! I have an 8 week old Holland Lop who has been with us for about a week now. Her ears are still upright and it seems as though she still has full control of them. I was just wondering, when do their ears usually lop? And since she is already 8 weeks old, is there still a chance they may still lop later on?
Furthermore, I am actually not too sure if the store owner gave us accurate information about her breed. She may very well not be a Holland Lop at all. So I was wondering if anyone here could help me confirm that she is a Holland Lop, or help me identify what breed she is. I have attached some photos for reference. I will still love her regardless of her breed and regardless of whether her ears lop. But it would be nice to get more information.
Thank you for your help!

Attachments

• IMG-20190531-WA0000.jpeg
    IMG-20190531-WA0000.jpeg
    36.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 20190603_214529.jpg
    20190603_214529.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 30
Some lop bunnies will take couple of months for them to flip, but not all will get their ears to lop down.

Some even will get airplane ears/ light ears, which one ear stands up while the other is down.

Most lop should have their ears down already around 7 weeks. So don’t count on your buns ear being down, when not 100% sure it’s a pure breed lop.

Even pure breeds will have lops that never get their ear to fall down.

So wait a month and see if they fall down, she might be a mix with a lop bunny.

Hi Hermelin, thanks for replying to my thread. I'm definitely more well informed about my bunny and the possibility that she may be a mixed breed. I still think she's adorable regardless, so having her ears up isn't much of an issue :)

They usually lop between 4-10 weeks. Even the later ones usually have 'airplane' or horizontal ears though, unlike your rabbit where the ears are more or less held like normal ears. I doubt your rabbits ears will end up as a lop, personally

Thanks for your reply SableSteel
She sometimes has her ears to her sides, almost like an airplane. But the thing is, she still seems to have complete control over her ears so they can go from horizontal to directly upright haha

Holland Lops can have full control of they're ears no matter what age I have a Trio of Sisters that I'm getting one her ears just started to lop they used to kinda just stick out to the sides and she was the runt of the litter her ears just started to lop when she was 4.5-5 months old she just turned 6 months old yesterday my last rabbit was also a Holland Lop that had full control of her ears it's actually pretty common that they can have full control of they're ears I read a care guide that says Holland Lops are the only Lop breed that can move they're ears I've had a mini lop as well and she couldn't move her ears at all I can definitely tell your rabbit it at least part Holland if not full Holland she might be like my Tri Colored one who just took longer for her ears to lop then other's. Here are the pictures of my trio of buns you can see Willow Snuggles Orchid my Tri Colored Lop and her adorable ears and all the directions they go in the first two pictures are the first I got of them they're still with the breeder as I'm getting everything ready for them still.

Attachments

• IMG_20221027_210345.jpg
    IMG_20221027_210345.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221027_210330.jpg
    IMG_20221027_210330.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 0
  • imagejpeg_2.jpg
    imagejpeg_2.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 0
  • imagejpeg_0.jpg
    imagejpeg_0.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 0
  • imagejpeg_1.jpg
    imagejpeg_1.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 0
Oh wow. I didn't even know they weren't born with their ears like that lol. One of our 3 lops had 1 ear partially up and the other down as a baby, so we just assumed that was how his ears would be. But they have been down for a while now and we assumed it was just more comfortable for him that way. But now when I feel his ears, I can see that the one that used to be partially up is now down in the relaxed position :p.

Oh wow. I didn't even know they weren't born with their ears like that lol. One of our 3 lops had 1 ear partially up and the other down as a baby, so we just assumed that was how his ears would be. But they have been down for a while now and we assumed it was just more comfortable for him that way. But now when I feel his ears, I can see that the one that used to be partially up is now down in the relaxed position :p.
Yeah I got my first Holland Lop when she was 9 months old so her ears were already lopped and when I noticed one of her ears was sticking up I thought she broke her ear or something because it was the first time I noticed her ear was not in a lop position she would move her ears in all types of different directions after her personality really started to show it was the cutest thing . My Tri Colored Female does the same thing with her ears and I can't wait to get them I love how she moves her ears . I litterally just noticed I replied to this thread that was posted over 3 years ago lol so I apologize for commenting on this old post.

Latest posts

Back