When do buns stop growing?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aBreeze

Reaction score
Three weeks ago I brought a 6 month old Flemish giant buck into our family. I weighed him that first day and he came out at 12lbs. I haven't weighed him since and I don't think it would matter anyways. He has lost some weight with the move and him adjusting to my feeding program. I'm just curious if he'll get any bigger, I've always adopted adult rabbits or mini's.

Thanks!

With Flemmies because they are large rabbits their growth period is usually longer than for smaller breeds of buns. I have heard up to a year old for flemmies.

I would say he'll likely grow a little more, but at 6 months old, most of the serious growing is already done and any additional growth would be fairly minimal I should think.

6 months and only 12 lbs... I'd have to wonder if he was full flemmy or not. unless he's out of a small line.... he should hit at least 15 lbs.

He certainly looks full to me and is supposedly out of show stock. A girlfriend bought a "flemish giant breeding pair" sight unseen and those were most definitely NOT flemish giant rabbits but probably weighed 12lbs. He's now 7 months old and has been here a month so Ill weigh him again.

EDGAR1.jpg

Smaller breeds usually reach their adult size around 6 months. Large and giant breeds can be around 8-12 months. Some breeds might not be fully grown until 18 months.
At 6 months, he still has some growing to do. Probably not too much, but he could put on a few more pounds.

Thank you both! I did call the breeder but didn't get the answers I was looking for. Maybe I wasnt asking right? I dunno, however that thread shared was wonderful! Thanks again

Latest posts

Back