wheelchair for bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:tears2::tears2:As if the thread itself didn't tug on my heartstrings enough. That was the sweetest, saddest thing I have read in a long time.

Thanks everyone for your positive comments.

Pam:Thanks for the link.Wiggly's blood was tested,but I don't think we specifically looked forE. cuniculi asthis particular one requiresthe specific antibody to detectit.I readthelinked article and "trauma" may best describe Wiggly'sparalysisas he has bladder control problem as well. This is also a cause that our vet suggested.

Well, Wiggly is still not walking but here he is:
wheelchair2.jpg

That's good to know. I amusing a treat as a bait to move himforward.Strangely, he often move backwards.My plans are now to put on chrome wheels for little bling-bling and more angle on the wheels for more aggressive stance. j/k ;)

Hi I was so pleased to read this thread, it is so great to see. I worked in a vets for a while and it was sad because most times if anything went wrong with an animal other than a cat or a dog the owners were just willing to give up on it. Animals are very adaptable I am sure he will learn to use his wheels. He is lucky you are so devoted.

I'm with Pam about testing for E-Cunculi.

If it is and it's caught early enough and treated with meds, then it can be effective in treating.

This picture makes a beautiful avatar. Don't have to use it, but thought I'd send it along anyway. Wiggly looks so adorable in this shot.

wiggly wrote:
That's good to know. I amusing a treat as a bait to move himforward.Strangely, he often moves backwards.My plans are now to put on chrome wheels for little bling-bling and more angle on the wheels for more aggressive stance. j/k ;)
Keep working with him and tempting him with treats. It's not unusual for him to push himself backwards as he attempts to learn how to move in the cart. It reminds me of babies scooting backwards as they are learning to crawl ;);)

Pam

Wow! What an amazing family you have there! You sure are a lovely person and I really commend you on what you have done for Wiggly.

wiggly wrote:
I have a rabbit with paralyzed back legs. We went to a vet who prescribed steroid for 10 days, but that did not help. He is eating fine, but not mobile. I thought a small wheelchair would help him move around the apartment. I searched the web for animal wheelchairs, but none specific for rabbits. I made a simple one based on dog wheelchair (see below). This design is not working as rabbits mostly use their back legs to move forward. I was hoping someone on here has experiences or ideas. TIA.

wheelchair.jpg
is he sick or did he get hurt? good luck with the wheelchair! he is SO cute...what kind of bunny is he?

Thanks everyone for encouragements.

I think he is a mixed breed.We got him from a pet store when he was only 6 weeks old (so we are told).

The original design was not working. Wiggly often attempts to use his back legs, twist his back and eventually falling off from the cart.This design (see below) may be better as it will allow him to use his back leg movement (albeit limited).

wheelchair3.jpg

This looks great, maybe some really small swiveling wheels on the front corners might also help if he's having any issues. What a cute little guy, and obviously special!!! All his friends need to sign his wheel chair :D

Latest posts

Back