What's your monthly bunny budget?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bellaterra214

Bellaterra214
Reaction score
I was wondering what everyone's bunny budget is for a month. Now that we are starting to save for a house, I was just curious if the amount I spend is actually excessive.

# of Rabbits
Indoor/Outdoors ?
Hay
Pellets
Litter (if litter trained)
Fresh vegetables
Toys
Misc. (Am I missing anything?)

Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you
Bella

At the first of every month, I add $100 to my bunny account and here's a breakdown

# of Rabbits

Indoor

Hay
Timonthy Flake (2) $8.00
Orchard Flake (1/3) $1.00
Oat Flake (1/3) $1.00

Pellets $8.00

Litter (if litter trained) FREE ( i use our junk mail so line the bottom of the litter boxes

Fresh vegetables $32.00 ($8/week)

Misc. $50.00 (Toys, cage improvements, vet bills)

If there is anything left in the misc after the month is over, it rolls over to the next month. That way I am not caught totally off guard when they have to go to the vet.

I have three rabbits and I think I spend about what you do on fresh veggies, hay, and pellets. I order my hay and pellets online so I have an added expense of shipping. I think I spend about $30 a month on toys and grass mats. It's great that you are putting some money aside for future vet bills. I just recently spent about $500 on vet bills and medications for one of my rabbits and he isn't even well yet so there may be more to come. Your free litter idea is great too. I am currently trying to switch over from Carefresh to horse stall pellets and I haven't quite figured out how much it will be costing me per month, but I know it will be less than what I was spending. You can't beat free though!!

Yeah, I started saving a little bit of money monthly to go towards vet bills not too long ago. When I accidentally stepped on Bino a few months back, I spent $360.00 for a 1/2 hour at the emergency vet and then another $160 for the regular vet.

$520.00 that I wasn't planning on spending. So now I save.

There are ways you can cut costs if your current spending is becoming a bit of a burden. I have always raised my rabbits on dry feeds (pellets and hay) only. Not all of my rabbits are pets, I do breed and show some. However, their "purpose" doesn't drive my diet of choice. Our rabbits have always been healthy and have required little veterinary assistance over the years (3 visits total - we've had rabbits about 13 years).

If you would decide to modify their diet, companies like Manna Pro, Blue Seal, and Purina do have formulas specifically for pet rabbits. They're usually sold in 25 lb. bags, I think, and are around $8-10. This would feed 4 rabbits for at least a month...most likely two months, but I'm not sure what size rabbits you have.

With hay factored in as you described above, feed may total $20 or under per month. So that could potentially be a huge cost savings. We do grow some fresh herbs and vegetables to supplement as treats in the summer, but do not feed fresh vegetables on a regular basis.

You can also save on veterinary bills by becoming knowledgeable about different rabbit ailments and how to treat them. Since rabbits don't require vaccinations or regular vet care in the U.S., most things can be successfully treated at home. In fact, there is so little research about domestic rabbits (in comparison to dogs, cats, etc.) that you can quickly become more familiar with the things that may ail your rabbits and how to treat them than many veterinarians. Knowing when and how to treat common illnesses can save hundreds of dollars in medical bills annually.

# of Rabbits:
12 (not counting 13 babies i have right now)
Indoor/Outdoors:
outdoors
Hay:
$15 a month
Pellets:
$40 a month
Litter:
N/A
Fresh vegetables:
free, i use mom's scraps from cooking.
Toys:
free, paper roles
Misc:
$10 a month. Meds, food/water boles, and other random stuff

Thank you for all your comments. It's not really about the money, but the principle I guess if that makes any sense. Wanted to get a feel on what would be considered normal or excessive. Saving for the vet just doesn't seem as painful as spending $520 that you didn't expect to spend. I like to have all my bases covered

To save on veggies, I am in the processing of trying to get my fodder to grow without mold. Plus the whole aspect of knowing what went into it during the growing process makes it a more likely substitute for veggies. But it's been a challenge and lots have gone to waste.

I have a bio degree so it doesn't really scare me to take care of certain issues at home, but there are times when the vet is necessary. Bunny vets are pricey and they seem to always get sick or hurt at weird times. I stepped on poor Bino and brought him home against vet orders. He is fully recovered and has been neutered since. Lulu had to go in for his head tilt. Luckily I caught it super early and he recovered after a couple of weeks. If I hadn't been well informed about head tilt, I would have never notice the signs. RO was also a big help through all of this. We had to wait 2 months to get the neuter. The vet wanted to make sure the head tilt was gone for good before putting him through a surgery.

Sorry for the long post.

Last edited:
I've only had Boomer for nearly 2 months but working out so far NOT including his cage and the essentials of setting up a new home from scratch... breaking down the normal monthly costs so far is............

# of Rabbits - 1

Indoor/Outdoors ? indoors

Hay- $8 month

Pellets- $ 6 one ($12 box lasts 2 months)

Litter (if litter trained) - $ 36

Fresh vegetables- we set up a herb garden before we got Boomer so nothing really. He gets weeds and scraps when i'm chopping vegetables for dinner. e.g, carrot tops, spinach, broccoli, mixed salad when i'm opening the bag...etc . i don't purposefully by anything fresh for him. He shares with us and we always have fruit and veg in the fridge.

Toys- $100 + easily more... I cant help myself whenever I visit the pet store.

Misc. (Am I missing anything?)
Vet visit - $85 (but I guess unless something goes wrong that will only be done annually once a year)

Replacement of chewed/ruined household items - 1 bamboo table runner $40
- 1 iphone rubber case $20

I buy oxbow pellets and hay through my husbands company, so I pay cost plus tax.
I'm also going to plant my own veggies in the spring :)

Oh jeez, if I had included set-up and replacement parts it would be way way more!

So far we have had to replace:

5 phone chargers
1 fan power cord
4 speaker wires
2 mouses
2 laptop power cords
4 lamp power cords
1 tempur pedic - they created a tunnel half way through the mattress.

Thankfully they have not destroyed anything of real value, with the exception of my tempur pedic. AND this doesn't include everything I bought to bunny proof the apartment and toys. I am looking for monthly maintenance.

2 rabbits indoors
Hay-$8
Pellets-$8
Litter-Free my local Orscheln's gives out samples you just have to look for them-also my bf works there so he brings homes things from vendors like samples.
Fresh vegetables-Haven't had them for a full month but Im estimating $30(will go down during summer as I have a large garden plot)
Toys-$5/free I use things I find around like paper rolls,pinecones and I bought some cat toys on clearance
Misc.-about $2 on food/water bowls because I shopped at thrift store and found some nice ceramic ones

1 indoor rabbit.

Hay- $9

Pellets-$1.50 per month. I buy 25# bags that last 6 months each, 2 bags a year.

Litter-$6, Tractor Supply horse stall pine pellets.

Fresh veggies-between $7-$8 a week, we'll say between $30-$35 for the month. That will end once the summer hits and the garden is growing well.

Toys-free. She gets boxes, cardboard tubes, and a few old baby toys.

Misc- In February and March we had about $300 worth of vet bills, but that is the only time she's been to the vet and the hopefully the only time she'll have to go!

On a normal month, it brings the grand total up to $46.50, give or take.
She is the least expensive animal I have too, minus maybe the chickens.

Wow some folks pay a lot for their bunny supplies!

2 Rabbits
Indoor
Hay - $0.66
Pellets - $4.50
Litter - $5
Fresh vegetables - $8 ( $0 in the summer once the gardens going)
Toys - $0
Vets - well the visits are free and the meds are at cost, but its never happened yet. Their spays/neuters were $20 each or something silly and cheap.

One rabbit, indoor.

Pellets: 8$

Hay: 6$

Litter: 6.50$

Toys: 5-10$

Misc.: I put 10-20$ away each month for emergencies. (I'm only a high school student with a part time job so moneys scarce.)

Rabbits: 3

Hay: $5 ($20 bag lasts 4 months)

Pellets: $12 (1bag per month)

Litter: N/A (I use old newspapers)

Veggies: N/A (I use kitchen scraps)

Toys: N/A (I use old boxes and such)

Vet visits: ~$10 a month (average over the year)

Misc.: $10 (chewed wires, nail clippers, etc.)

I've only had my bunnies for one month, so I'll put what everything cost this month, but the hay might be cheaper because I'm looking into a cheaper store :)

2 of Rabbits
Indoors
Hay: $10.99
Pellets: $2.50 for 4lbs
Litter (if litter trained): Free. I go to the USPS and get their free boxes and just line the litter with that and hay.
Fresh vegetables: Free, I give them whatever we have in our fridge for us, I don't buy anything specifically for them.
Toys: Free, I use paper rolls and such.
Misc. (Am I missing anything?): Vet bills, my vet sees them for free and only charges me for the meds, so free so far. Starting next month I'm going to put away $20 a month for any emergency bills.

I have four bunnies and had to cut costs so my husband would allow it. I use newspapers as litter and feed them our veggie/fruit scraps ( we have a lot ) I make treats and toys with my kids for them for very cheap. Also, I asked a local farmer if he could spare a garbage bag of hay and he was happy to do it! If you ask around, someone is probably willing to give you fresh hay. Also, I loooooove summer because they can run around and eat grass

Two Flemish Giants

$20 Pellets. 50lb, lasts two months
$16 Hay. 50lb bale, lasts six months
$20-$30 40lb Litter, four bags a month
$40 Fresh Greens a month
$140-$720 Vet vIsit a year, thought the big number was neutering.
$10 Toys and Upkeep. Creating their condo cost about $300-$400

So my monthly expenses, minus big ticket items. Total: $100 a month. Hmm, seems less then that but thats what it is round about.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back