What's Your Favourite Breed?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've only ever had mini lops so haven't had any personal experience with other breeds. But if i had to choose based on looks i would have to say lionheads and holland lops. ^.^

Holland Lops! They're so adorable and fluffy and sweet and wonderful. I've had 2 Holland Lop girls and they are utterly irresistible.

Flemish Giants are definitely my favorite breed. They have the best personalities, and I love hearing people's reactions about them being "bigger than the dog"! (Course, I don't care for dogs that small myself...) I also like how funny they look as kits when their ears are almost as long as their bodies. Not really much I DON'T like about Flemish, except maybe the lack of color choices, although you can find other colors from "lower quality" lines. That, and the expense you have to put into a proper cage, so having a bunch is hard to manage. I miss having mine...maybe some day I'll have Flemish again...

I can't pick a favourite breed without offending some of my rabbits. I do like different breeds for different reasons.

Lionheads are spunky and have tons of attitude. I also love the look and fluffyness.

Giant Angoras win in the personality department. They want to be loved and are pretty much always up for a cuddle and to be pet and loved. The larger size and fluff just adds to the cuddle factor.

Tans keep me on my toes. They are totally into everything and are bold and outgoing. They can be a bit too much energy for some people, but that energy leads to lots of entertainment.

Mixed breeds are great too. You can get anything from a small dwarf mix to a large rabbit and anything in between. Mine is just a perfect gentleman, he is affectionate but not in your face needy.

As most would guess mine is Dutch, my 5 are the sweetest rabbit. They always meet me at there doors every time u come to there cages plus they love to be held as well. My second would be my Flemish, he is sweet but with his size it makes it hard for the kids to hold him as Dutch's are easier to hold for them. I am not sure what my next favorite would be. I like a few but don't like enough to call my favorites

Korr_and_Sophie wrote:
I can't pick a favourite breed without offending some of my rabbits. I do like different breeds for different reasons.
:yeahthat:

I have so many different breeds and I love different things about each of them. I'll try to share about a few just so folks can know what I like about them...

I love my Polish doe Angel. Art calls her "avenging angel" as she's been known to chase after the dogs at times and threaten them. She has what looks to me (compared to other bunnies of mine) - "bulging eyes" but they're really just typical for her breed. I love to pick her up and sing "Earth Angel" to her and tell her she's mine. I "adopted" by winning her from a raffle. There were something like 3 tickets in her bag - so I bought like 10 tickets and put them all in her bag...she just looked like she needed me and there was something about her that cried out to me.

I bred lionheads for a while and I love their looks but I also like their inquisitive personality. Like most breeds - some were lovers - some were not. But they loved to explore and play.

ELops make me laugh. They just have such a sense of naughtiness and they have to explore and wind up getting into trouble so often. I think if someone is suffering from depression - having an elop could royally frustrate them (because of all the things they find to get into) or help them fight the depression because they will laugh so much.

Holland lops are such high-energy bunnies (at least around here). I love watching them play - and I had two bucks that were such sweethearts and loved pets.

I love the sweet disposition and yet somewhat inquisitiveness of my Californians. I have two sets of intact bucks that live together (both sets are brothers) and they don't fight and are definitely bonded. I think Calis make good "first pets" for homes with children because they are so laid back and are big enough to sit beside a child and let them pet them. All of my Californians love pets.

My New Zealands and New Zealand mixes are such fun to talk to and watch their faces and expressions. I swear they move their ears and point them towards me to make me laugh. My girls love pets and they love to be loved on and even my cage-aggressive girl Rosita has learned to love pets once I changed her to a larger cage with a door that opened outward.

The Mini-Rex mixes I've had always seem to jump around their cage going "pick me, pick me". Wow - I am always amazed at their energy level and their need for attention. They probably aren't my favorite breed - but I still had to include them.

And then there are the flemish giants. I just got done spending 20 minutes petting Harmony and she didn't want me to leave. Like most of my flemish does - she sticks her head into my hands and begs for pettings. My bucks love to be pet also. I suspect that if I could take them into my bedroom (I have a very jealous bedroom bunny who won't go for that)....they would snuggle with me on the bed and take naps. I adore the gentle spirit of my giants and how much they want my attention.

So each of the breeds I have currently have some sort of "favorite quality" about them. Each one has its own personality (just as all rabbits have individual personalities anyway) and I love them all.

My favourite breed is the Fuzzy Lop because they are just as cute and cuddly as Holland Lops but you get the added cuteness of fluffy fur. They are more work to groom but I just love the look of their fur!

I would never go back to Netherland Dwarf mix rabbits like I used to have before I had Lops. In my experience Hollands and Fuzzies are so much more calm and friendly than the Dwarf rabbits are.

Latest posts

Back