what's wrong with my bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jillass

Reaction score
I left my roommate to take care of my bunny from Thursday until Saturday night. When I got back, Siddhartha seemed pretty lazy, but I didn't think anything of it and gave her some carrot tops. This evening, I noticed the tops were still there and she hadn't touched any hay or pellets.

My roommate admitted that he hadn't let her out since Friday, so she might have been sick since then, but I don't know.

There are large clumps of fur in her cage.

She had crusties in her nose.

She was letting me pick her up and rub her belly with no complaints.

She's really wobbly and noticeably thinner than when I left.

She was willing to take a piece of banana when I shoved it under her nose, but she had no interest in hopping across the cage to get it. She's also bonded with my cat, and when the cat entered the enclosure, Siddhartha did not notice.

Her tummy feels empty, I don't feel any blockage or gas (but there could be!)

She took 24 ccs of water from a dropper, and when I put her into her litter box she was shaking and she was letting her head fall into her water crock.

It's Sunday night, so the vet isn't open. First thing tomorrow morning. But is there anything I can do now? Any ideas what this could be??? :(

She really needs an emergency vet
I don't have a good feeling about this.....

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12548&forum_id=9
Do you have an emergency vet that you can take her to.?

If not you need to know if your roommate even looked at her ,was she given food and water since you left?
Try to find a vet and then
give her some electrolyte drink for children ; it is called pedialyte in the US

first try to find a vet..

even if it is not a rabbit vet they stll could give her sub q fluids.

Whatever is wrong is not clear to me but it doesn't sound good.

Was she perfectly OK when you left ?

There is the Emergency Vet Clinic of Waterloo Region, located in Cambridge. Phone number is 519-650-1617. It is open weekends and evenings. I believe a consult there is $90. Good luck.

I made an electrolyte solution of 1L water, 3 tbs sugar, 1 tbs salt, 1/4 ts baking soda and she's almost enthusiastically had 30 ccs of that so far in the last hour.

Siddhartha is still pretty listless but is moving around a little more. She passed 3 teeny tiny poops about 10 minutes after I gave her the first round of the solution. I never thought I would be so excited about seeing poop. She still isn't touching pellets or hay, but is drinking as much of the solution as she can.

She's curled up in some blankets right now and I'm going to let her sleep for a few minutes before I give her more of the solution. This is the first time today that she's willingly stretched her tummy out (she's been keeping her front paws behind or on top of the back ones =S)

The emergency clinic is ~40 minutes from here and not really a viable option at this point. First thing in the morning we're going to the local bunny vet who is a super lady.

Thanks a lot for your support, it's really helpful to have all of you here :)

I'll pray for her tonight. Please keep us updated after her appt. She sounds weak. :pray: It's good that she's drinking though. Poor bunny. Does your room mate know what might have happened?

Where did you get that recipe? ; I need to check whether it is correct

; if there is too much salt she will still drink a lot and still be dehydrated.
Can you offer her any wet greens (if she has had them before ) like parley romaine cilantro etc , etc ??

try to offer her bits of food that are healthy .....

I found this off a wild life site

1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 tablespoon sugar and 2 cups warmish water. I don't know where you got the baking soda from
I would remix the above ......
even on the rehabber sites the suggestion is to use home made only if you can not get the balnced formula of a product like pedialyte

http://www.rxmed.com/b.main/b2.pharmaceutical/b2.1.monographs/CPS-%20Monographs/CPS-%20(General%20Monographs-%20P)/PEDIALYTE.html

Can you go to a pharmacy ?

Home made solutions are not as safe to use as pedialyte or equivalent
sodium bicarbonate(baking soda)is OK to add but not absolutely necessary

http://rehydrate.org/dd/dd06.htm#page7

I have seen recipes with baking soda in them before, but of course the store-bought stuff is better than home made in this case.

How is she today? Did you get her to a vet this morning? Can you give her some simethicone?

Latest posts

Back