Whats wrong with his legs?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reemy

Reaction score
I have been noticing a problem with my bunny since almost a month ago.

At first he started to get bald in some spots and was itching himself alot and the bald spots were dry and had what looked almost like dandruff.

I booked him an appoimntemt in the vet and was supposed to take him after I was done with my exams but I noticed the hair started growing back everywhere except his hind legs.

In the end I decided to wait and did not take him to the vet.

Now I noticed something really weird in his hind legs. I dont know how to explain it so ill just show you a picture of it.

He has been less active these days and almost never runs around any more. He just lays down and eats every now and then.

Im worried about him I hope its nothing too serious.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 15
It’s difficult to tell from a photo, it could be lots of things, he probably isn’t running around as it hurts. Please take him to a vet

It’s difficult to tell from a photo, it could be lots of things, he probably isn’t running around as it hurts. Please take him to a vet
I booked him an appointment. I will definitly take him.

My bunny had the same a month ago, it’s hard to see from the picture, but it could be worms like my bun (I can’t be sure as the pic isn’t clear but it sure looks painful:() I home the vet figures it out and she’s back on her feet soon, my bun recovered after a week or two :) keep us updated x

I am just guessing from looking a pictures but I think it looks a bit like this. Its a burrowing mite. Very treatable with ivermectin. So get a good rabbit savvy vet, it says its hard to diagnose.

You can read more about it here on medirabbit —http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/Mange/Sarcoptes.htm

Mange: burrowing mites

Sarcoptes scabiei or Notoedres cati

(It says its hard to diagnose so make sure you go to a good rabbit savvy vet.)

Diagnosis can be difficult and visual examination is not always sufficient to confirm the presence of these mites. Detection methods include the tape method, skin scraping (shallow if fur mites are suspected, deep if burrowing mites are suspected), or the vacuum aspiration method on a filter paper. Samples from scraping or aspiration should be spread on a microscope glass, dissolved in KOH, and examined under a microscope. Great is the chance to see a at least one mite or a larva or eggs. Fur can also be sampled, dissolved in KOH, and examined under the microscope for the presence of eggs. If no mite is present in the first sample, other places on the body should be checked. If the presence of burrowing mites is suspected, but none found after a deep skin scraping, a biopsy on the area suspected of mite infestation is advisable.

upload_2018-6-26_0-6-5.png

Latest posts

Back