What's this I hear about bunnies and raisins??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maherwoman

Reaction score
Ok, I read something about bunnies liking raisins. Is this true? If so, how frequently is it safe to give them to bunnies, as far as their sugar content? Also, do they like regular raisins, or golden?

Do raisins have any physical benefit for bunnies?

Thanks, guys! :)

Raisins are safe for your bunny to eat but they are treats so feed them in moderation. I'm not sure about the difference between golden and regular, maybe somebody else can help you with that.:D

I don't know if there is a preference between regular and golden- I've only fed regular. Lots of buns also like Craisins (dried cranberries). Since they are sugary, only feed one every once in a while. I limit treats to a few times a week. Also, some rabbits are very sensitive to sugar, so stop feeding them if the give him soft poops.

They might have some vitamins and such, but there are better things to feed for that. Pellets should have complete nutrition. I feed a variety of veggies every day and feed fruit as rare treats-usuallyfresh grape halves or small pieces of apple, pear, strawberry, or blueberry. Lots of rabbits like bananas but mine hate them.

Raisins

In the most basic terms, a raisin is simply a dried grape, About half of the world's raisin supply comes from California. The most common grapes used for raisins are Thompson Seedless, Zante and Muscat. Grapes are either sun-dried or dehydrated mechanically. Both dark and golden seedless raisins can be made from Thompson seedless grapes. The difference is that the dark raisins are sun-dried for several weeks, thereby producing their shriveled appearance and dark color. Golden raisins have been treated with sulphur dioxide (to prevent their color from darkening) and dried with artificial heat, thereby producing a moister, plumper product. The tiny seedless Zante grapes produce dried currants, and muscat grapes (which usually have their seeds removed before processing) create a dark, perfumy and intensely sweet raisin. All raisins can be stored tightly wrapped at room temperature for several months. For prolonged storage (up to a year), they should be refrigerated in a tightly sealed plastic bag. Raisins can be eaten out of hand, as well as used in a variety of baked goods and in cooked and raw dishes. They have a high natural sugar content, contain a variety of vitamins and minerals and are especially rich in iron.

Ok, cool. Thanks for answering my questions, guys! I figured raisins would have to be in moderation, as I've heard that sugar gives bunnies the poops...lol. Poor things are so sensitive. Thanks!!

Latest posts

Back