What's the difference between a flemish giant and a german gray giant?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SablePoint

Reaction score
What's the difference between a flemish giant and a german gray giant? They both seem the same to me and I can't find any info on the net supporting my question that I've wanted to know for a while.
giant-rabbit.jpg

^ This picture here came off a site saying it was a German Gray Giant.
But on another site with this image claimed it was a flemish giant.

When I searched for pictures of Flemish Giants - it cames up with simular and even the same pictures when I searched for German Gray Giants, and vice versa.

So, what is the difference?

I think the Germans are bigger, but im not a breeder. Its just what i think lol i have a flemie and he is that big but he is also still a baby at 3-4 months.

In Europe there are some different recognized breeds than in the US. The flemish giant is probably closely related to these other giant breeds, but the current rabbit types each have a different separated lineage that started at some point. Or, maybe they are just as different as any other breed but they have their large size in common. Just a guess, though.

I'm about 100% sure that picture was photoshopped to make the rabbit look bigger...

It's real! I've seen this guy on animal planet's The Most Extreme, one time with his bunnies. They're huge!

thumper.bmp

big_bunny.jpg

Anyways, thanks for the info guys!

Yea i saw him on animal planet too his bunnies are HUGE lol he raises them to be that big.

their life span is about three years...
they are sold to third world countries to be bred and used for food/fur due to their breeding and growth rate..

SweetSassy wrote:
Would you like one that big Peg? Lol. :)
I'm not sure - I would be constantly paranoid that it was gonna die of a heart attack...so probably not.

SweetSassy wrote:
TinysMom wrote:
SweetSassy wrote:
Would you like one that big Peg? Lol. :)
I'm not sure - I would be constantly paranoid that it was gonna die of a heart attack...so probably not.
I wonder how long a huge bunny like that lives.....
However long it is - it is like all bunnies...

NEVER LONG ENOUGH!

Hee, hee...I have a copy of the photo where the guy is holding the Conti (where the bottom of his big feetz are toward the camera). I used to keep it on my desk at work and watch people do a double take.

Some of them would just flip out! "Holy Guacamole, that's a HUGE RABBIT!!" Then, they would either say, "That's GOT to be a fake" or(if they knew I raise rabbits), they would say, "Is that one of YOUR rabbits?!"

I had a lot of fun with that picture. :devil

lol wabbit mom you're giving me ideas! I am already known as the rabbit lady at work. people who see the NY Sweet Millions commercial tell me they think of me when they saw the cute little bunnies carnival commercial. It would be funny to have a little fun with a picture of a giant bun!

I've seen these pictures and a video of him and his rabbits on youtube. They are so cool, but they don't live long at all and alot of people are against breeding rabbits that big because they have tons of health problems and some of them can barely move, I think I agree.

The bunny in the picture is a German Giant. They get to be around 23 lbs, flemish and continentals are a different breed.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7f8y4SR9mjU[/ame]

Latest posts

Back