What's the biggest, fattest bunny that exists?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jigzitta

.::Call me Jigzy::.
Reaction score
Well I have a female, Lionhead bunny and she's pretty big and fat. I don't know if males would be much bigger though. I wanna get a really huge, fat bunny in the future. I want the biggest bunny out there. So what would you suggest? I wanna big huge, cuddly, fat bunny. Don't get me wrong though. I still love my Rosemary very much.

The most common large-breed bunnies would be Flemish Giants. They're reputed to be laidback and mellow, though I don't know how cuddly they would be - that depends on the individual bunny! You wouldn't want a fat rabbit though, they would have great difficulty cleaning themselves among a whole host of other health problems.

The most common large-breed bunnies would be Flemish Giants. They're reputed to be laidback and mellow, though I don't know how cuddly they would be - that depends on the individual bunny! You wouldn't want a fat rabbit though, they would have great difficulty cleaning themselves among a whole host of other health problems.

OHHH!!! MAN!!! I SOOOOO totally gotta get me one of those!!! :yes:

My wife calls our Flemish buck chunky rice, sometimes niener niener christmas dinner. Not sure why because he's not fat that i can tell, just buck shaped. Both our buns way a bit less the 15lb but they don 't look round since they got the mandolin shape. So if your looking for a large, round bunny I think a French Lop would do.

We are getting a baby 1/2 Flemish Giant 1/2 New Zealand/English Lop, BIG cuddle bunnies. Flemish Giants get to 15 pounds and heavier (but they are not fat), New Zealands get to 12lbs or so same with English Lops, all have awesome dispositions but as our breeder says rabbits are lumps of clay, they become what you put into them.

There's a morbidly obese rabbit just come in to my local shelter, I had to pick it up last week and it was like trying to hold a sack full of jelly.

Flemish would probably be your best bet, but please don't overfeed just for the sake of getting a chunky bunny. To do so intentionally isn't a good thing, it's not healthy for them at all.

I saw a photo of a giant bunny last week but can´t find it now to post here. I think it was a Continental giant, not fat but just really big. A bit like the one that Blue Eyes posted but all white. I´ve seen a couple of bunny pics where it´s nearly as big as a medium to large sized dog.

Just so people know that is a miniature collie, not a standard collie. My aunt had a standard and if that bun was next to a standard it would be 70 pounds!

I was waiting for somebody to catch on to that...
That dog is a sheltie. There are also Miniature shelties as some people call them.
And the photo is all in the eye of the beholder. Were used to seeing Shelties as 20 or 30 + pound dogs depending how fat somebodys gotten then. But can be found in wee little 10lb or less things. Sadly my sister has 5 and all but 1 is under 10lbs....
I think my 3lb bunnys come close to comparing in size to her dogs.

Now look how large this bunny is that the guy is holding. That's pretty huge. I want it. That's a Flemish right?

I want one just like this!

Az4UGMBCIAIoJoA.jpg:large

I've seen that picture too, I believe I read that that bun is a female Flemish Giant and weighs 25 lbs. Our breeder says the females get slightly larger and can get up to 20lbs. Yes, big rabbits are nice but make sure you have the room and food budget. They also sadly live far shorter lives that their smaller rabbit relatives (I'm praying for at least 7 years out of our future addition). We have a $1,000 emergency budget for our giant mix bunny all set up.....just incase..I have already spent over $400.00 on cage, x pens, one added to the extra large dog crate which will be buns home base, and one to keep him/her away from the TV wires, plus baby gates, toys, huge litter box, litter, food, tons of hay, plus spaying or neutering will be another $300 (but that was the price I was quoted regardless of bunny size)....etc etc.....if you now have a normal sized bun double or triple your costs if you add a big/giant breed. Study up on the giant breeds, find a shelter that has some or a reputable breeder and ask tons of questions. Don't just get one because they're "cool".

Last edited:
A Flemish Giant THAT big would be very unusual, that's why it had its photo taken I suppose! Most Flemmies get to about 3/4 that size, tops.

Also, why that man is holding such a huge and heavy bunny, or any bunny at all really, by its scruff is beyond me. Ouch, poor bunny :(

A Flemish Giant THAT big would be very unusual, that's why it had its photo taken I suppose! Most Flemmies get to about 3/4 that size, tops.

Also, why that man is holding such a huge and heavy bunny, or any bunny at all really, by its scruff is beyond me. Ouch, poor bunny :(

I find it amazing how many rabbit owners do not know how to hold them properly, that guy needs to support the poor rabbit's hind legs. I bet he's scruffing her because she is not a pet and probably not liking being picked up like that. :(

It's sad how many rabbit owners on youtube and on the internet handle their rabbits wrong and roughly....

Latest posts

Back