Whats the best way to hold a struggling bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nattyw

Reaction score
My Poppy is a little ratbag, he won't let you hold him if you are transporting him from say the hutch to the run or hutch to inside.... he struggles and wriggles and trys to kick. Also the holder gets scratched aswell (am going to ask the vet to cut their nails at neuter time in a bout a month). What is the best hold when your bunny will not co-operate...? He is so wriggly that sometimes you have to put him down and start again.... I don't know if he is no keen to get where he is going he just wants to go there himself or what it is - Astro is much better behaved.... any idea's on the best way to hold him would be great!!!

What I do is I support the back side very well and then keep his head under my arm. They feel more secure like that and you will have a better hold on him. Also try petting him before you pick him up and giving him a treat so he assosiates being held with good things.

Aly!

You could try wrapping him in a towel. Make sure to get it around his legs and that it is tight enough that he can't struggle too much. An added bonus is that you won't get scratched too much.
Putting him in a carrier (or even a plastic container) to move him can work if you have to walk a bit. He will probably fell more comfortable with all 4 feet on the ground.

If you hold him so his feet are against your body and you are holding him tight.

Thanks guys - I do hold him with one hand under his bottom and the other around his top part (his shoulders), and his feet are against my chest.... he is so naughty! Its really bad if you have to use one hand for something and you have him with only one hand! I think I will give a blanket or towel a go, then no scratches!!! My hubby had to put them to bed the other night and he just about lost his grip on him... and when you have hungry cats around its not a good thing if he goes for a sprint across the lawn, he may get stopped in his tracks by a big ginger cat! He wouldn't get out of our yard which is good....

I call the towel the "bunny burrito" - when I try to catch Juno after turnout time, she looks for the towel and runs right into it so I can lift her securely.

We have a rabbit carrier from KW Cages that we use for showing - I like it better for transport than the cat carriers as the air circulates better.

Denise

Denise

Hug him real tight to get him calm? Not tight enough to hurt him but close enough to you so that he doesn't have any room to struggle?

If you are holding him verticallyso his head is facing your should I find they are more likely to struggle because they don't feel secure, I hold my rabbits horizontaly, and I put one arm underneath them so their legs aren't dangling or anything, I put my other arm sort of around their shoulders and hold them snuggly. If they struggle I tighten my grip, I don't squeeze them though.

Make sure you are calm yourself because you might be tense expecting him to struggle, and he picks up on that and thinks there is a reaons to struggle, so you have to force yourself to be calm and relax, whilst keeping a firm grip.

Holding them vertical and facing you is almost always asking for scratches with the squirmers. Instead, try tucking him like a football and if he wants to "peak" out of your arm just hold his shoulders and side (again, like a football) and usually they're ok. Wrapping in a towel might help you the first couple times.

Also, have you tried trancing before? For the beginner it may not be easier but you'll need to turn the bun over so he's laying belly-up in your lap and then gently rub on the sides of his face. Slowly but surely he'll start to "nod-off" and relax. I do this a lot with my babies that are hyper to get them used to being handled.

Great suggestions!!! I have been using the football hold and that has been working quite well, I also employed a cotton blanket too which is also good.... we were holding them upright, so thats interesting that they don't like that and don't feel secure, that might be why Poppy was getting quite fidgety being carried around. I like putting their head under my arm and doing it that way - and gently putting the pressure on if they start to wiggle!!! Thanks everyone!!!

Latest posts

Back