Whats The Best Gender?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone here once said:

Female = snotty

Male = snuggly

I have to agree with that statement. Of course there areexceptions, but it seems to be that males, in general,tend tobe friendlier, especially if you get them as babies.

Older rabbits' personalities are often the result ofhowthey've been treated, so the aboverule doesn't really applyto them, IMO.

Hi

The buns are adorable I personnally love both depends on you maybe youwill know when you hold them.Sometimes that works for me.I love themallI have about 30.The coloring is pretty .Also never get ababy bunny before it is completely weaned which is between 6-8 weeks.Noyounger than that....... They have to stay with mommy bunny.It isimportant.They are very delicate at this age. I am a breeder . Bestwishes on your new addition let us all know what you choose.

:bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance:bunnylady

I have a female who is the friendliest rabbit ever, it's unbelievable. Though she is only 3 months old, but she will be spayed.

I have 2 older girls, 1 year old, they are not spayed yet (will be soon) but they are very friendly too.

Maybe I've just been lucky? But the first bunny I had was female too and she was also very very friendly.:)

There are many factors adding up to it, I only know one buck and he isn't nearly as friendly as my girls.:?

My Nibbles (spayed, adopted when she was stillquite young) has a big personality and has always been quite friendlyand cuddly. She'll run to people she likes, loves to play "follow theleader" (I follow her) and jump on and off my back. She'll happily getup in my lap if I put a towel there for her to dig, although she comesand goes on her own time. She has even stood on my lap, put her frontfeet on my chest, and started to groom me from that position. when shewas still a hyper "teen," she loved for me to lie down on the floorwhile she went to town on her digging blankets - she'd rest her side orbutt against my chest while she was doing this. I have to wonder if shethought we were playing together, and was very glad that she wanted meto be there with her.

I'm going into detail here mainly to show that bunnies are allindividuals, regardless of sex. If I went by what many people have saidabout girls (here and elsewhere), I'd have gotten very confused aboutmy bunny. ;)

I do believe that some behaviors are (obviously) more prevalentin one sex or the other, but still - as with people, it's hard togeneralize.

Yes ec, it can be true that within a sex thereis differences but overall there are also generalizations. If you'd begoing on a guess and not getting to spend much time choosing which one,I tend to lean toward males (especially small breeds!). Spaying themtends to lessen the gap between genders as well so that can contribute.I've never met any doe nearly as friendly as my boys but that couldalso be a size thing (medium rabbits versus small breed rabbits).There's a lot of guessing when it cmes to picking a rabbit but buckstend to make better pets, especially for first time owners.

I also wonder if the gender of the owner matters. With horses, you seeit all the time that female riders get along a lot better with malehorses than they do with mares. Mares can be moody and 2 females arebound to have their problems but if you put a male rider on a mare,things are different, the horse reacts differently and a lot of maresare better with male riders. I've experienced this myself which is whyI also wonder if the same goes for rabbits.

Does anyone notice if their female rabbits seem better with men and iftheir males seen more attached to women? Again it's a generalizationbut it could be another interesting point. (Oops, sorry to steal yourthread.)

MyBabyBunnies wrote:
Does anyone notice if their female rabbits seem better withmen and if their males seen more attached to women? Again it's ageneralization but it could be another interesting point. (Oops, sorryto steal your thread.)
All my buns have been better with me than anyone else.

But having said that, I have a buck who we bred and both me and my dadbonded with him early on, and he is very soppy with us both.

I was bonded to a girlie, very closely, and she got separation anxietywhen I wasn't there, but also liked my dad and showed it by going overto him for a fuss regularly.

We have twin sisters and they are very territorial with me, but not my brother when he goes to their cage.

My bucks Sky, Badger, and Flash (RIP) have all bonded closely to me.Sky and Flash I spent a lot of time with, but Badger decided he likedme within the first few minutes and would spray me, but no one else.

I guess what I am trying to say, lol, is that in my experience that depends on the rabbit for lots of things

a, who (i.e. what gender) they were used to as babies

b, which person they spend most time with

c, the temperment of the bunny

d, who they met first

And things like that.

But my bunnies are a law unto themselves, lol, so they could easily be exceptions to all the rules.

My thought (FWIW) overall is that rabbits areincredibly complex creatures, and that (as with humans) there areprobably many exceptions for every rule re. personality, sex and more.And, as Flashy says, a *lot* goes into the socialization of any givenanimal, including plenty of factors we can't control and about which weknow nothing at all.

Why do we humans hit it off immediately with certain people, warm up toothers after a period of time (short or long) - or, for that matter,why can't we stand certain people? Much of this has to dowith things that aren't always clear to us. I honestly think there's awide spectrum of personality types re. rabbits; also that the sheltermanager (where I adopted my bun) has a real flair for picking this upand getting to know the buns she cares for. Her assessment of my bun'spersonality was very much on the money, although there were variablesthat nobody could have seen or predicted (i.e., what she'd be like onceshe became reasonably comfortable with me, in my house).

In the end, a rabbit that is your ideal might not suit me at all, and vice versa...

(Just my .02-worth... ;))

Also (separate topic but interesting) -

With horses, you see it all the time that female riders getalong a lot better with male horses than they do with mares. Mares canbe moody and 2 females are bound to have their problems but if you puta male rider on a mare, things are different, the horse reactsdifferently and a lot of mares are better with male riders.

I wonder if this is also related to age (that of horse and human) aswell as time and amount of experience/horsemanship... with reallyadvanced riders (top-level dressage, for example), you've got everycombination, including women riders and stallions. The bond betweenhorse and human in this kind of riding discipline is so deep - andtakes many, many years to develop. I don't ride anymore, but I'd bewilling to bet $ that the horses that were right for me at 15 aren'tthe same horses that would be right for me now, in middle age... I wasthinking about this last week, while watching videos of some of thewinners of one of the top European dressage tests from 2006 on YouTube.[sorry for threadjack - there are some wonderful equestrian vids there!]

I never had a female bunny before,so I can'tcompare a female with a male on which one is more friendly.I have amale bunny name Dusty and he is a good bunny he is almost 2 yearsold.We had a male bunny before Dusty that died and that bunny was alsoa good bunny.

Males are sweeties, but I couldn't live withoutmy girlie buns! Ruby especially is just like a small dog, she willliterally run me down when she sees me, follows me aroundandwill nearly fall over standing up trying to get myattention.:bunnyheartI love my big cuddle girliebuns!:inlove:plus they have thatextraattitudewhich gives themtheedge.:sunshine:

I have never had a male. But my TinkleBunny is asweetheart. She loves giving me kisses and DBFing into me. She alsodoesn't take any crap either. She doesn't like me touching herblankies, or flipping her over, or picking her up off the ground. Shewill snuggle and kiss, but I better not try to pick her up. She ispretty pushy too, she throws anything that is in her way. I wouldn'ttrade her for anything in the world though. Who doesn't love a littlefuzzy ball of pure confidence?

~Star~

I just want to add my two cents before this thread gets closed.

I have never owned a female rabbit. I have, however, handled myfriend's female rabbits, and I, personally, don't see all that muchdifference. I think it more comes down to the individual rabbit'spersonality. There are some females that are snuggly, and some malesthat are a bit mean. I, personally, would go for a male though.

Because it's very nerve racking to get a rabbit castrated, I think thata buck would be better in that aspect, since their operation is muchmore simple. Though, it is not worth throwing away your heart bunnyjust for that.

I must say, though, those rabbits are gorgeous. :inlove: I would take any of them! :D

Rachel.

Latest posts

Back