What's Iris' colour?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catlyn

Reaction score
What is this coat called? I know it's broken-something, but what exactly?
If those pics are unclear i can try and take clearer/closer ones..
20210704_112725.jpgreceived_179802347366675.jpeg16256685710323531738759165240236.jpg

It's fine, someone will be able to help out eventually.

Seems logical that she would be a broken orange. Her back shows a bit different colours though- sort of like rusty and then tipped with black in some areas? I'll try to get a close-up now.
Does that change her colouring?

I would either say broken orange or Tri-colored (broken harlequin). If she has black spots or different colors in her fur then it may be the ej gene (harlequin/tri). Do you know what color her parents are? Hope this helps!

Last edited:
No no, she's more than half white. Still, not a charlie. Her face sports light orange/cream fur that has no speckles in it, the fur on her back is a darker orange with what seems to be a tipped coat, but it is neither silver nor gold-tip. No separate blotches or swatches of any other colours. Her undercoat is white-ish. All seen above.
The tipped-looking portion is what made me wonder if she is anything more specific than just broken orange. Storm's black-and-white fur is tipped by gold and his coat was named broken black gold tipped steel, so i was just wondering if broken orange black tipped steel was also a thing, but i guess not.

Broken fawn maybe, I think orange is a self-color while fawn tends to be blended

Her mum looks like a broken chestnut, and they no longer had her dad-he was taken by a fox, weren't told what he looked like.
Looking at pics of fawns on google, Iris looks alike!

If her mom was a broken Chesnut then I would say your bun would be a broken orange. Because Orange is a wideband (agouti) color, it will have a white undercoat, the tips of the fur can be white, and there can be blacks specks throughout the coat. From the photos you have, I do find it odd that the tips of her ears are so dark. It is possible she could be a broken red...given her super bright, coat. Or, again, she might be a tri-color because of the black spots.

If this helps, here is a picture of my solid orange Holland lop. Her mom is a chestnut and her dad is a Blue Point :)IMG_1572.jpeg

She doesn't look at all like a tricolour bun. She has no black spots on their own, it's just that a part of her orange is ticked black at the tips. She also looks too light to be a red, from what google pictures and comparison tell me.
Broken Orange with a twist it is!

Latest posts

Back