What's in your medical supplies cabinet?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tori

Reaction score
Well, I finished putting together my new rabbit cage, have found a hay supplier, and am just about ready to get my first Holland. Hopefully I will take him/her (not yet sure if I should start out with a buck or doe) to shows and fall in love with this hobby and maybe start my rabbitry. So, I thought I should ask, what you all keep on hand as far as medical supplies? I want to be fully prepared for my new bun. What kind of dewormers do you use and such? Thanks in advance!

Tori

I am a pet owner, not a breeder, but I always keep these things on hand, and I think they would be useful in a rabbitry as well:
-simethicone baby medicine (mylicon)
-pedialyte
-syringes for oral administration of drugs, food, fluid: 1mL, 5mL
-baby food in a bunny-friendly flavor
-canned pumpkin (in the freezer in ice cube-sized portions)
-Bene-Bac
-Nutri-Cal
-styptic powder

Perhaps you all should also explain what each item is for lol I'm just so new to all of this :blushan:

And Claire, just because you are a pet owner does not matter to me :) I still greatly appreciate your experience!

Yes, the esbilac puppy milk powder is highly recommended as a milk replacer. There's a forum member (on hiatus now) who does wildlife rehab and that's the formula he uses. ;)

I have syringes, vanodine, neoterramycin, a horse wormer paste that I can't remember the name of, and vetrx, which is highly recomended, by yours truly as an allergy remedy.

EDIT: It's called ivermectin. I had issues with wry neck (lost 3 rabbits to it) so it's something I'll always keep on had.

Is ivermectin the horse wormer you use? And it helps wry neck? I also have never heard of vanodine or neoterramycin :blushan:

All these medications listed, are they things for sores or what? I am very confused and a little embarrassed heh

Ivermectin is a dewormer, and it can be used to treat parasitic diseases. I don't know if it would be all that good for wry neck, because that disease is usually caused by an inner ear infection, which is best treated with antibiotics. In rare cases of advanced e cuniculi disease, a head tilt (wry neck) can develop. E cuniculi is a parasite that ivermectin can treat.

Vanodine is a topical antiseptic used on wounds, and occasionally in water. Neoteramyacin is an antibiotic. It can either be in an ointment form, like neosporin, or sometimes put into water. In the Infirmary, we don't like to see administering rabbits antibiotics in their drinking water, as it can be hard to get the correct dose (not all rabbits will drink the whole bottle).

Yeah, I've been reading around on the internet right now and I didn't know that that sounded like a very good idea for the exact reason you mentioned.

I guess maybe I should have posted this in the Infirmary? oops...

Also, how often do you de-worm? And I read something that said you should only use a dewormer if the rabbit has been tested positive for parasites, but I've also heard it should be used as a preventative???

Well, I think this is a good place to put it since larger rabbitries have different health concerns than pet owners. For instance, pets are only dewormed when a rabbit tests positive for parasites, but many breeders do deworm on a regular basis, like every few months. Also I wouldn't have thought of the milk replacer at first since I never run across kits. :)

Heya Tori -

Started a discussion about a worming product here:

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=46933&forum_id=48

I've been using this now for a little over a month and have seen good results, especially in regards to the fly population being cut down (my bunnies spend a lot of time outdoors, so I know their chances of getting worms is increased).

I keep Vanodine, Bene-bac, syringes, liquid bandage, Nutri-cal, simethicone in my medicine kit.

BlueSkyAcresRabbitry wrote:
Penicillin and Esbilac Puppy Milk Replacer are what I have on hand right now. I also have syringes.

A caution on both these products --- be EXTREMELY careful. Penicillin should NEVER be given orally, only as an injectable, and that's not really novice territory.

Same with milk replacement. Rabbits are notoriously hard to hand raise/feed, so every last resort should be used to get the kits to nurse from the mother or another doe.

There are many more threads on this should the need ever arise.

sas :bunnydance:

PS: I'll three of my favourites:

Betadine - a mild iodine solution, the kind hospitals use to clean the skin before surgery. It's great for warding off infection in nicks and bites and other potential problems, and it won't hurt the bunnies.

Metacam - a pain killer only for use in emergencies, but a potential life-saver seeing as rabbits will easily get shocky when in pain. CAUTION: This MUST be administered with food to a well-hydrated rabbit, otherwise the cure will be worse than the cause.

SnuggleSafe (Non-electrical, Non-Toxic Heating Pad) - one major problem is that the body temperature drops with sick or injured rabbits (and rabbits coming out of surgery). A SnugglesSafe (or even a heated sock full of rice or beans) is a good item to have on hand.

Metacalm - for emergencies (pip explained it Lol)

Fuccithalmic - eye ointment for sore sunny eyes

Septrin - peadiatric antibiotic

Sudacrem - for sore hocks or any other sores like baby butts

syringes and needles - injections also bigger syringes for feedinf if necessary

Sub Q fluids - good for dehydrated rabbits (usually a vet will administer them or show you how to do it)

Ivomec - injectible for parasites internal and external

cotton buds and cotton wool balls - for cleaning

fuciderm - good for sore bits down there ;) luckily I dont have any problem but its handy to have in case you get a rabbit in that you notice has a problem like vent (always make sure you do all that in quarantine tho ;) )

Diorylyte - cant remember the american name for it but its a paediatric replacer for diorhoea

Infacol - in case you have a rabbit with gas

um think thats about it lol I try and keep us well stocked can you tell :p

If I need penicillin I just phone my vets and then go pick it up he doses it into the syringes for me makes it nice and easy ;)

Am I correct in assuming that you use Ivermectin as an oral wormer? You just give a pea size to the rabbit? How do you get them to eat it??

whaleyk98 wrote:
Am I correct in assuming that you use Ivermectin as an oral wormer? You just give a pea size to the rabbit? How do you get them to eat it??

I usually just offer them a couple licks off the end- mine like the apple flavored kind. xD If they don't take it that way, I syringe it oraly.

If you want exacts it's 1/10 cc per pound of mature body weight.

whaleyk98 wrote:

Ber VERY carefully with this stuff! You don't want to be overdosing them and also be aware that there is evidence that rabbits with certain genetic features may be prone to sensitivities -- I believe dutch-marked rabbits?

Hopefully somebody can post more info on this.

Latest posts

Back