What's in your medical supplies cabinet?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, all my horse medical supplies are in with my rabbit medical supplies, so there's alcohol, peroxide, witch hazel, neosporin, powder terramycin, eye terramycin, EMT gel, aloe heal, ivermectin of some sort(typically Safegaurd and Zimectrin Gold), oen syringe for hand feeding babies, 1 hypodermic for penicillian shots, of coarse Penicillian is in the fridge, multiple bandaging materials(horse and small for dog/cat/bunny) hoof trimming tools and cat nail clippers and a medium sized container of corn starch for bleeding. bleach for steralizing syringes, hypodermics and the reusable wrapping material and any blankets or towel's used on the animals.

I know, a bit excessive but I'd rather be ready for anything than to catch myself off gaurd.

Pipp wrote:
whaleyk98 wrote:
Am I correct in assuming that you use Ivermectin as an oral wormer? You just give a pea size to the rabbit? How do you get them to eat it??

Ber VERY carefully with this stuff! You don't want to be overdosing them and also be aware that there is evidence that rabbits with certain genetic features may be prone to sensitivities -- I believe dutch-marked rabbits?

Hopefully somebody can post more info on this.

sas :bunnydance:
I want to say it is the dutch marked rabbits and the blue-eyed whites (which I think included the vienna-marked rabbits too since they carry that gene).

It may be Pam Nock who knows more about this...

So is it a good idea to treat with ivermectin as a preventative when getting a new bunny or if you have several bunnies?

Also, I assume the ivermectin is used in bunnies to treat mites?

luvthempigs wrote:
So is it a good idea to treat with ivermectin as a preventative when getting a new bunny or if you have several bunnies? 

Also, I assume the ivermectin is used in bunnies to treat mites?

Personally I only treat when the rabbit is symptomatic, although I only have house bunnies so mine are not at much of a risk. I'm always nervous mixing chemicals and animals. No matter how safe a product is, there will always be some animals (and people) with sensitivities (not to mention the possibility of dosing mistakes), so for me the risk of treatment outweighs the risk of unseen infestations.

And yes, I'd use topical ivermectin for fur mites. I'm not a fan of oral if I can avoid it, although for ear mites, I do believe oral is the preferred treatment in that case. (CAUTION: Never use Frontline!)

sas :bunnydance:

Oxytocin's not that easy to find, though, is it? Tums are also good to induce labor when it's going badly. Because of the bad reactions some bunnies can have to ivermectin, i wouldn't use it unless the vet prescribed it (ie not on a regular basis), but that may differ when you're dealing with a large number of bunnies and disease can spread easily.

The reason I ask about treating is because in horses we worm on a regular basis (every 3-4 mnths) of course they are not being wormed for mites though.

With the guinea pigs (especially with new additions to the herd or with large numbers of pigs) it's a common practice to worm with ivermectin for mites on a routine basis. I wasn't sure if it's the same for rabbits.

Since I have about 30 rabbits in the rabbitry I always have a large supply of first-aid / medications for the bunnies.

This is what I have. and I will explain what I use it for.

*Baytril- Is a widely used antibiotic on rabbits
*Oxytocin - Used to help does who are in labor have stronger contractions (Not for novices)
*Pen B - A injectable antibiotic used sometimes for wry neck in conjunction with ivermectin.
*Ivermectin Inj - I use the inj for bunnies with wry neck
*Ivermectin rub on - I use this for bunnies that have ear / fur mites
*Aqua Light - encourages sick bunnies to drink more liquids
*Critical Care - encourages bunnies to eat who are sick (syringe feed)
*Triple Antibiotic Ointment - for sore hock or just small scratches and bruises.
*Small Can of Pumpkin - for wool block it has a high fiber content and seems to work the best.
*terramycin powder - a water soluble antibiotic
*terramycin ointment - for eye infections
*whole assortment of syringes

*bunches of 20gage needles they seem to work best for the dwarf breeds.
*Iodine - cleaning wounds
*Peroxide - I use this to flush abscesses
*Vet Rap - wound protection
*Rabbit Mycin - upper respatory / snuffle infections (gets administered in the nose)
*Quick Stop - stops bleeding

tonyshuman wrote:
Oxytocin's not that easy to find, though, is it? Tums are also good to induce labor when it's going badly. Because of the bad reactions some bunnies can have to ivermectin, i wouldn't use it unless the vet prescribed it (ie not on a regular basis), but that may differ when you're dealing with a large number of bunnies and disease can spread easily.
Oxytocin has to come from your vet and most likly the vet will administer it. I get a bottle from a vet supply book sine I have so many rabbits it is always good to have on hand.

luvthempigs wrote:
The reason I ask about treating is because in horses we worm on a regular basis (every 3-4 mnths) of course they are not being wormed for mites though.

With the guinea pigs (especially with new additions to the herd or with large numbers of pigs) it's a common practice to worm with ivermectin for mites on a routine basis. I wasn't sure if it's the same for rabbits.
I try not to worm my rabbits unless I see signs of worm but I do do the whole barn once a year I also worm new bunnies as soon as they come to me as well keep them in quaranteen for 15 days.

I have tried looking around on the internet for how to help a doe with a stuck kit, but haven't had much luck. Was wondering if maybe some of you could chime in on that. (Even though I don't plan on breeding for quite some time! lol)

Also, not sure if I should worm since I will only have one bunny to start out with. But I plan to take it to shows and I guess that increases their risk of infection?

I've heard/read from a few breeders that they do worm their rabbits, since if a rabbit is placed in an area that has just been occupied by another rabbit with worms, there's a good chance the following bunny will become infected.

Celestial Wind wrote:
*Ivermectin Inj - I use the inj for bunnies with wry neck
*Ivermectin rub on - I use this for bunnies that have ear / fur mites
*terramycin powder - a water soluble antibiotic
*terramycin ointment - for eye infections
*whole assortment of syringes
*bunches of 20gage needles they seem to work best for the dwarf breeds.
*Iodine - cleaning wounds
*Peroxide - I use this to flush abscesses
*Vet Rap - wound protection
*Rabbit Mycin - upper respatory / snuffle infections (gets administered in the nose)
*Quick Stop - stops bleeding

Have you had any problems getting some of this at places like Tractor Supply or Southern States without prescription? TS's website list the Ivomec and needles as store-only but there's no notation of prescription required. We'd like to have some Ivomec on hand to treat mites (we've had cases in the past and possibly one developing) but darned if I'm taking 13 rabbits to a vet that disapproves of breeders just to get a prescription for an emergency-cabinet item!

I've seen it at TSC on the counter (well in a fridge for some of these things), so I don't think a prescription is needed.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Food/yogurt.htm
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Probiotics/probiotics.htm

I don't know why there are anecdotal incidents where rabbits have improved while on yogurt. I know that in humans, undigested lactose becomes lactic acid. Therefore, lactose would decrease the pH of the gut further, which is the goal of most probiotics. This may be part of why it seems to help. However, long-term studies have shown dairy products to be harmful to rabbits, because they lack the bacteria that can digest lactose. This can lead to painful gas and serious GI imbalance. Perhaps in the stories that are passed around, the rabbit wasn't given enough yogurt to cause digestive upset, but was given enough to acidify the gut. I worry that it would be very difficult to tell how much is too much, and the idea of giving my rabbit something it cannot digest, especially at a time when their system was out of whack, makes me choose a probiotic that they can tolerate easily, like Bene-Bac or ProBios.

tonyshuman wrote:
I've seen it at TSC on the counter (well in a fridge for some of these things), so I don't think a prescription is needed.
Around here at TS they have it in a refrigerator case over by the equine supplies, and they keep a padlock on it probably just so kids don't get in there. I can't imagine the cashiers trying to figure out a vet scrip, so I suppose you're right. I just couldn't picture going to the vet to pay $80 for an exam just to get a scrip for stuff I already know we'll need. Particularly when (a) the vets around here are not really wabbit vets (b) some of them have drunk the HRS Kool-Aid and (c) they'd want to make money on us by bringing in each wabbit individually for said $80 exam.

I'll check it out; we have one in Mt. Airy, Maryland, and one down in Leesburg, VA. Still kinda miss Central Tractor! They had the best tools and Ford 8N parts.

For a stuck kit, calcium (Tums) or oxytocin can help, but that kind of thing usually requires a vet visit depending on how long she's in labor.

Latest posts

Back