What would you say is a normal height in your view?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hermelin

Reaction score
Hi, just a random question. So what is a normal height of a person that you would see as a normal height and when it border to tall or short.

Myself thinks my height is normal 5’8 ft but my parents are 5’3ft and 5’4 ft, while my brothers are 6’1 ft.

So I see my parents on the shorter side. They must have put something in the food to make us siblings to grow. I don’t see my brothers as tall, it’s just a normal height. Tall is when I look at cousins that are 6’8 ft 😂

From Wikipedia on Human Height:

Most intra-population variance of height is genetic. Short stature and tall stature are usually not a health concern. If the degree of deviation from normal is significant, hereditary short stature is known as familial short stature and tall stature is known as familial tall stature. Confirmation that exceptional height is normal for a respective person can be ascertained from comparing stature of family members and analyzing growth trends for abrupt changes, among others. There are, however, various diseases and disorders that cause growth abnormalities.

Most notably, extreme height may be pathological, such as gigantism resulting from childhood hyperpituitarism, and dwarfism which has various causes. Rarely, no cause can be found for extreme height; very short persons may be termed as having idiopathic short stature.
1600427646782.png

It may vary per country. For a female, 5'8" is considered tall. So, yes, you would be considered tall. The average height for women (according to the CDC) is barely over 5'4". The chart from the CDC on the height (& weight) of females shows this. It is by percentile ranking.

In case you (or others) are unfamiliar with percentile ranking...
You'll see that your height of 5'8" is about at the 92% mark. That means that you are taller than 92% of females age 20+, or that just 8% of females would be taller than you.

Of course, the chart for boys is much different. ;)

Attachments

• growth chart.png
    growth chart.png
    485.7 KB · Views: 6
So my height count as on the taller side among girls and my mom heights would be more towards the more normal height 😊

"Most intra-population variance of height " is the fancy way of saying it is not only country specific but specific to local regions too. Nutrient availability plays a big role. Shorter parents, while having the same genes may have been raised with a poorer diet than their children.

Right--genetics is a driving factor, but nutrition is also a determining factor. Simply put, with good nutrition any population tends to be taller than a previous generation that didn't have as good of a food supply. At 5' 11" I'm the tallest in my family and only one cousin is taller. My grandson is 5 and is as tall as an 8 year old--the doctor said he will probably be at least 6'5" at full growth, but his father is that height and my daughter is 5'6", 5" taller than her mother. Had a Cultural Geography class 5 decades ago and that is something that was noted--better nutrition equals a generally taller group than previous generations that didn't have good nutrition

Hi, just a random question. So what is a normal height of a person that you would see as a normal height and when it border to tall or short.

Myself thinks my height is normal 5’8 ft but my parents are 5’3ft and 5’4 ft, while my brothers are 6’1 ft.

So I see my parents on the shorter side. They must have put something in the food to make us siblings to grow. I don’t see my brothers as tall, it’s just a normal height. Tall is when I look at cousins that are 6’8 ft 😂

It depends on who your family, friends and people you are around, how tall they are what you see as normal. For me for a man normal seems 5'4" to 6'2" for a woman I would say 5'-58" seems normal height to me.

In my family, the woman are taller than the men by just a little, at about 5’6-5’10 and the men are about 5’5-5’9. I’m 5’1 though 🙈

Latest posts

Back