What Would You Do?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyBoyHarper

Reaction score
Okay, so Merri is positive for E. Cuniculi. Her previous owner claimed she got it at 7 weeks and she's now 6 months. From what I've read, it's no longer in the contagious stages once they show symptoms (but one site said to keep them separated anyways).

Merri is in my room, with Willow on the other side of the room in a separate cage. Harper used to be in my room and I really want him back in my room but I just don't want to chance making him sick.

Also, we want to get Willow neutered in a couple weeks, and Merri spayed, and bond the two together. Am I being irresponsible with sticking Willow in with Merri, knowing she has EC?

What about putting Harper back in the same room as Merri, knowing she has EC? I'm really wondering about what others would do, and what I should do. This has been bogging my mind for a while now.

Willow has coccidea, right? (sorry, Im getting them all confused in my head). I think I would wait until his problem clear up before trying to bond him (and probably before having him neutered as well). I'd be more worried about Merri getting that from him.

Im not too sure about EC. I dont have any experience with it. I would think it would be okay to bond them but, then again, I keep thinking i fall these bunnies have compromised immune systems not only might it not be good to bond them, it also might stress them out a lot as well.

As for Harper, I reallly wouldnt bring him in the same room with them.Wasnt that the problem before with him freaking out around other bunnies? I would be scared of sending him into a stress attack, which could bring back the GI problems..

I dont envy you. Every one of them has some sort of health issue it seems :(

Haley, they do all have health problems, but they are also all bunnies that no one wanted because of their health problems. Half of them were either I take them or they were to be euthanized.

Willow does have Coccidia, which is clearing up. I'm not talking about bonding him or having him neutered for a while. I wanted to get him neutered in about 3 weeks, and then bond him with Merri. And this is only after I get his coccidia fecal done in 's one week to assure that the coccidia is gone ( even though he's already doing fantastic).

With Harper, I was going to see how he did with the bunnies. He's inthe spare bedroom right now with Chance and Thumper -- both unneutered males.

I think he'd be happier with Merri and Willow, both which would be neutered and not cause him as much stress. At this point, he will be with bunnies no matter which room he's in.

My concern is exposing him to EC.

Poor babies. Theyre lucky to be with you.

I think maybe Harper would be better in the room with Merri and Willow if its a choice between that and being in a room with 2 unaltered boys.I would think that if his cage is away from theirs he should be fine.

Hopefully someone with EC experience can comment on this a little. Im really not too sure on how contagious it actually is..

Thanks Haley. His cage will be well away from Merri and Willow's. So my concern is just exposure to the EC now.

Chance will be neutered as soon as I get my income tax check in about3-4 weeks. Thumper will never be neutered, it's just too much of a risk given his age and his odd breathing. The vet doesn't want to take the chance.

Others (not on RO) keep telling me to have Harper and Willow, at least,tested for EC. And if it comes back that they've been exposed, then I can happily house them in the same room because they can't contract what they've already got. But those blood tests are nearly $60 each, no way can I shell out that type of money. Even though out of 5 rabbits,EVERYONE I've talked to has told me that at least one of my rabbits has EC because so many carry it anyways.

EDIT: For bad spelling.

Latest posts

Back