what veggies do YOU feed??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amberelizabeth

Reaction score
Hi Guys!

I was curious what kind of veggies everyone feeds their buns? I have the lists and everything I was just wondering for fun. So far Layla has only tried Cilantro and Turnip Greens, she likes them both, but I'm going to the store tomorrow to look for different varieties.

So I was curious which kinds may be cheaper (I'm a poor college student :D) and I also look for ones I can incorporate in my own cooking.

I think if I have the names in front of me I'm not so overwhelmed when trying to choose a few.

fruits are fine, I just discovered that Layla LOVES apples, practically attacked me to get some! thanks guys!:)

Lettuce you can also make a salad and put some in your buns food bowl. I often do that with left over bites. Corn on the cob, you eat the corn and give the rest (the hard part) to Ms.Bun ( i think its a miss).

On any given day, I feed a mix of 3-4 types of vegetables. Here's a list of some of the vegetables they get on a regular basis:

• Parsley (a favorite of both Devon and Amber)
  • Cilantro
  • Romaine
  • Basil (Devon's favorite)
  • Mint (Amber's favorite)
  • Green peppers
  • Collard greens
  • Babby carrots (very special treat, they get maybe two or three per month)
I've found that parsley, mint, and basil grow very well outside. Since they are favorites of my two, growing my own really helps to keep costs down. Plus, basil and mint have plenty of uses in "human cooking":)

If youre trying to save money, you can check around for local farmers markets-veggies are usually very cheap and very fresh! Another idea is to buy in bulk from Sams or Costco. I buy their romaine lettuce and its so much cheaper.

My bunnies all get romaine lettuce every night. I always mix a second veggie in there too- usually parsley or carrot tops or cilantro.

I feed:

Curly Kale (an absolute favourite for my two and cheap); Broccoli; Cauliflower & leaf; Radish tops; Parsley; Mint; Celery; Baby sweetcorn; Spinach

If you're short of cash you could also try growing some of your own. Also ask at vegetable shops - many will cut off cauliflower leaf, etc and will give them away for free.

I feed lettuce , carrots , parsley , celintro ,dill, lemon balm ,spinich,tomatoe, we grow our own herbs for them to and buy them Pet grass and a lot more veggies

I try to mix it around a bit, but a bit confusing for poor mom with lots of different things! Here are a few usual veggies and fruitsduring veggies time around here, from most used to least used!

• romaine
  • parsley both curly and italian
  • baby carrots
  • celery stalk/leaf
  • apples
  • kale
  • spinach

I get HUGE bunches of veggies from the organic grocery store, although I'm offen digging through their bins out back to get it myself. (My rabbits have turned me into a bag lady!)

I have one bunny who gets a bad reaction from cilantro, another one from black kale, and another one who hates curly parsley... and they all hate mint, basil, etc... (and I just discovered the new girls will eat radishes)...

But generally speaking, the favorites here are:

Carrot tops (#1 all around, and easy to get for free! obviously)

Italian parsley (the flat leaf kind). The curly parsley is okay, too, but isn't as popularhere (and it's higher in calcium, not good for my sludge bunny)

Bok Choy (good all round green -- low calcium, high nutrients, comes in a big, hard leaf, easy to wash/prepare, it's hard and good for teeth, it lasts more than a day in the fridge and they love it).

Broccoli and Cauliflower (apparently it gives some bunnies gas, but that seems pretty rare, I really don't think anymore than any other veggie).

Chard (green or rainbow, the red doesn't go over all that well -- again, similar properties to the bok choy).

Dill - they all love it, but it's pricey, unless you have friends with dill bushes, and it goes bad fast.

Fennel - the bunnies love it -- theleafy parts -- and I love that they love it, seeing as there's nothing sweeter than bunny kisses with fennel breath! (Smells like liquorish!) Even pricier than dill, but easier to score from a grocer, seeing as they throw away the tops.

Kale -- a major favourite, but there can be too much of a good thing, it has high levels of potassium and calcium, so not more than three days in a row, and then a few days off.

Carrots - high in sugar, so small amounts, but a non-green staple.

Aruglia - they love this stuff -- but so do I, so we fight over it. It's a great day when there's a bunch or three in the bin, and I don't have to share mine.

Lettuces -- green, red, romaine -- they're not wild about the stuff, but it's good filler, especially on heavy kale and collardsdays. I flush out their salads with it every day.

Brussels sprouts - they think they're okay. More popular than cabbage. (Both belong to the same family as broccoli and cauliflower, so start slow in gas they cause gas).

Beet greens - some like'em, some hate 'em. Another one easy to get free from grocers, around here, anyway.

Raddiccio - very expensive! but in my quest to provide a daily non-green, we've been known to break the bank. Greatto find inthe bin. Everybody eats it, tho nobunny really loves it.

Collard greens -- a dream to wash and serve, it has huge, easy to handle, hard leaves, and it keeps for a long time. But even higher in calcium (andphosphorus?)than kale,and it's not that popular here, but they'll eat it.

Nobunny here likes spinach all that much, nor mustard greens (good thing, REALLY high in calcium). And as noted, they positively recoil from basil and mint.

Cilantro goes over with most of mine -- some love it, most think it's just okay, but one (maybe two) gets a bad case of gas from the stuff.

I think that covers it...

sas:)

we have tried a few thi ngs here and some are a hit and others ....not so much. Romaine lettuce is an everday thing, i also give her curley parsley she doesnt not like the flat parsley........snob. Cilantro she also likes, they are an everday thing here. i am growing basil and SHE LOVES THAT :biggrin2: i have tried other things she is not crazy about collards, and neither is the lizard, carrots occasionally, spinach another one she is not crazy about, zuchinni she doesnt really like either.

The only things I have on my list that no one has mentioned yet ..

- Belgium Endive
- Escarole
- Frissee Lettuce

The cashiers at the store hate us because we're always a test to see how well they learned all their vegies... most times we have to tell them what it is. haha.

My mom's neighbour grow carrots in their yard, and one day brought a couple carrots over for my parents. Well my mom asked them to have their carrot tops for Cookie when they were harvesting.... and they kinda gave my mom a wierd look but brought her some. When they brought it over, they actually told her that they eat it. They make some kind of soup out of it.

Who knew...

Anything on here they have been feed. Little by little we are trying more

Rabbits
---------------
Basil
Bok Choy (Chinese cabbage)
Carrot tops (high calcium)
Celery (especially the leaf) (Note: to avoid any potential problems, slice or chop the celery against the grain so the veins aren't stringy - veins can be swallowed without proper chewing and can cause serious gastrointestinal problems)
*Cilantro (no roots)
Collard greens
Cucumbers(Limited and fresh nothing added.)
Dandelion greens & flowers
Dill
Kale
Lettuce: romaine (only limited amounts, may cause excess cecals), green leaf, red leaf (limited iceberg and light greens generally, as it may cause soft stool in some bunnies))
Mint
Mustard greens (high calcium)
Parsley (high calcium)
" Curly
" Italian
Tomato

The following fruits may be fed to your rabbit in small quantities as treats (1-2 tablespoons):
Note: although fresh is best, in most cases you can also get frozen or dried versions of these fruits; if dried, please check the ingredients and make sure they are not sweetened with sugar, corn syrup, etc.
Apple
Apricot(limited)
Banana
Blueberry
Cranberry
Grape
Peach
Pineapple
Pumpkin
Raisin
Raspberry
Strawberries

Foods to feed only in small quantities:
Carrots (high sugar content) Baby carrots
Kale (high in calcium, also may cause gas)

*Teresa does not like Celery

---------------------------------
Guinea Pigs-
-----------------
Bell Peppers!
The more colorful they are the more vitamin. Odd. Red, orange, yellow, green in that order.
carrots (limited)
Bok Choy is strictly limited (gas)
Cilantro is a BIG favorite
Collard Greens limited (gas, calcium)
Dandelion BIG favorite
Tomato
Cucumber
Corn Husk

wow thanks guys!

currently Layla is eating a mix of romaine, parsley, cilantro, and turnip greens. plus the occasional carrots, apples, craisons

i love reading what everyone else does for their daily feedings, gives you good ideas for new owners!! thanks!

Their veggie base is:
  • Carrots tops (Pepo's fav)
  • Parsley (Tito's fav)
  • Basil (Tito's fav)
  • Lettuce
  • Broccoli
  • Green Pepper
  • Spinach
  • Celery
pepitosmall.jpg

Lopi loves everything he can eat, specially if he can steal it from tito's or pepo's mouth

ct.jpg

They get carrots once a week and fight for it

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHVTsaKy0gs[/ame]

Mine usually get some kind of lettuce (not iceberg) at every feeding (2x a day) as well as some kind of herb. A great way to get cheap veggies is to ask for the carrot tops at a farmers market.

Georgie gets:

Dandelion greens
Spinach (only a little)
Kale
Endive
Escarole
Red Leaf Lettuce
Parsley
Cilantro

Occasionally a mix of all of them, but usually 3-4 each night. I'm a poor college student, too, but found a great place here in town that sells fresh veggies and fruits. Usually it's by the pound, and I've found that 1/4 lb of each gives me a great mix and will last more than a week (if the veggies stay fresh!).

Mine get lots of veggies. Lots and lots of different veggies, especially now that my garden is in full swing. There's less choice in winter but sometimes I swing past the Asian grocery store to get something a little different. Here's my messy list, in no particular order:

Lettuce- all dark green kinds, almost always have some (so I can have salads, LOL)
parsley- curly and flat leaf, they like the flat leaf better
cilantro- a favorite
dill
basil
mint
lemon balm
thyme
lavender
oregano
radish leaves- a favorite here
carrot greens and carrots
broccoli and rappini/broccoli greens
cabbage (not a favorite)
collards
kale
swiss chard
spinach
kohlrabi leaves
pea leaves (can be bought from Asian grocery stores too)
Bok choi- baby bok choi from Asian grocery store is best
Dandelion leaves
Black Medic- lawn weed that I have a patch of, very similar to fresh alfalfa
alfalfa/clover sprouts
Celery leaves
Mustard greens
Cucumber

I think that's everything. I might remember more when I get out to the garden, LOL!

Parsley has always been my two guys number one salad green ever since they hopped into my life, back in August of 2005. They were four month old Mini-rex bunnies back then, and were already used to parsley according to the breeder I bought them from, at the Kentucky State Fair.

They've branched out into a mesclun salad mix I grow in my backyard, which includes something called black seeded simpson, red salad bowl, lollo rosso, royal oak leaf, arugula rocket, and radicchio red verona. They also like lemon thyme, basil, and fennel fronds, I grow in my herb garden.

--Before I introduce them to anything new, I research it intensively online, and then only give them very small pieces to begin with.

Gordon

Magnet and Smores like BABY spinach...we tried the regular spinach leaves and they didn't touch it. Thyme is new for them, they go nuts for apples, not big fans of baby carrots, and will nibble on banana if they're in the mood. Their favorite is cardboard :?

Latest posts

Back