What vegetables do you feed your rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smilingbunnies

Reaction score
I'm always wanting to add a bit more variety to the veg in my buns diet and instead of looking up a long list of veg I've never heard of, I'd appreciate if you could comment the veg you feed your rabbits (especially the dark leafy!) and maybe I could slowly introduce a few😊

The main one I'll give my buns is Romaine lettuce :) I'll also add in Parsley, a teeny tiny bit of Carrot, Coriander and fresh grass from my yard. There is also other things I will add in, but it depends :) Hope I helped

I use the same stuff as MiniLopMad... My bunnies get that every night and some treats now and again like Carrot etc...

Breakfast: instant porridge made with hot water - no sugar or milk; keep it fairly watery, so it is also a good way for them to get water intake.
Lunch: mixture of kale, Chinese kale, small amount of diced cabbage, sliced runner beans, sliced carrot.
Dinner: ditto lunch with small amount of diced apple - this is their "treat" as I don't give pet shop bought treats.
Supper: instant porridge again.
Drinks: one bowl of water and one (smaller) bowl of water with a dash of unsweatened pineapple juice: both changed 3x a day.
Hay (Timothy) always available, given by means of toilet-roll cardboard cylinders. I used to buy these small cane circles filled with hay from the pet shop, but quite simply it is a total waste of money as the toilet-roll cylinders do the same.

Carrot tops, cilantro, parsley, romaine, kale, broccoli leaves or sometimes florets, chard, spinach, celery tops, endive. Sometimes I will sprinkle on a few craisins. I feed about four different things per salad. And they get salad twice a day.

Thank you very much! Next time I go veggie shopping I'll pick some up to slowly introduce😊

My girl LOVES her Arugula!! If I've made a salad and added that in, and she can still smell it on my hands, she'll run around the room and thump at me until I give hers some!!!

I call it her "bunny crack," cause the minute she has it she gets insanely happy, and will be extremely insistent until I give her some!! (Trader Joes is the one she likes the best, but because its the freshest, and it stays good for longer than any other store's).

Otherwise she loves broccoli, romaine lettuce, broccoli, baby spinach, cilantro, carrot tops (which I put through the top bars of her cage over night to give her some entertainment) and the carrot itself.

Thats all I've tried her with, but she's liked pretty much everything I've offered so far!! (Our vet gave me a list.)

But fair warning, I think the broccoli gives my girl gas!!

Ours get parsley, italian parsley, cilantro twice a day and in the morning they get romaine lettuce and a small bit of apple. The evening change up is adding slice of carrot and some dandelion. When they were younger and growing they also would get spinach, kale, and alfalfa sprouts as they are higher in calcium but can be problematic with the urinary system in most bunnies after six months of age and with the larger breeds at a year as they no longer need the extra calcium for bone development.

Thats all I've tried her with, but she's liked pretty much everything I've offered so far!! (Our vet gave me a list.)

But fair warning, I think the broccoli gives my girl gas!!

Yep, broccoli and other cruciferous vegetables will give rabbits gas, this includes the more commonly fed brussel sprouts, cauliflower, cabbage and bok choy. I tend to avoid them almost completely since gas can lead to GI stasis.

Bandit gets a variety, most of which I grow at home.

Dark leaf and romaine/cos lettuce, basil, coriander, parsley, marjoram, chervil, oregano, thyme, mint, sage, rosemary and silverbeet. Depending on what I'm cooking with he may get a slice of carrot, or celery leaves etc.

Latest posts

Back