What Type?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyLuver14

Reaction score
My younger sister is almost 10 and wants to get a rabbit because she loves how calm and loving Truffles is. When I got Truffles I had no idea what i was doing and if i made the right choice by getting a male miny lop eared. is there any kind of rabbit that some what fits the following??? The standards are kinda high but i want her to have the best bunny she can have.:dutch:thanks:

• Small and FLUFFY!!( no bigger than 5 pounds )
  • Great with kids and easy to train
  • any color is fine

• ears preferably up​

I was about to say the same thing-Dutch are great pets and very lovable. Or, Mini Rexes are similar in size and also very soft and fluffy. They're a very snuggly breed (at least the does that i have had have been).

Jersey woolys are awesome pet rabbits. If they come from a responsible breeder they only need to be groomed every 2-3 weeks, sometimes even only monthly.
Here are pics of the breeds mentioned

Jersey Woolys
795718348.jpg

Mini rex
DSCN12921.jpg

Dutch
129093551.jpg

Lionhead
yllw.jpg

Last edited:
The breeds that immediately come to mind are; Dutch, Lionhead (one of my favs), Mini Rex, and Holland lop. I hope your sister finds a great bunny!!

Oops, sorry, didn't see you wanted one with ears that were up; lops wouldn't work then ;)

maybe you could convince her into starting off with a hamster? i think they are amazing starter pets for that age group... My daughter has a longhaired syrian hamster and he is a larger breed and soo fluffy and cute.

Dutch are great for first time bunny owners! They are small, and the Dutch I've known have always been super laid back with being handled. Mini Rex tend to be the same way, and I better give them thumbs up after owning & breeding them for many years! Lol.
Hollands are another good breed - if you didn't want one w/ ears up - though I've found that my buck doesn't like to be held & cuddled like my Mini Rex did. Could just be that he hasn't been handled much.

I always laugh when opinions are asked for...everyone has different likes and dislikes, different experiences, and different opinions! And of course, different bunnies!!! They are like children, you could have 10 and they would all be different! We have 4 of each, 4 children and 4 bunnies and they are all differen! My bunnies are all 4 Holland lops and they are all different. Having children, ages 5-13 and being very partial to Hollands, however, given the ear thing, I would highly recommend Dutch! I would also highly advise against the fuzzy bunnies, not because of their temperament/personalities but because the extra fur makes caring for them more difficult. We had two Fuzzy lops whom we loved dearly....but just a lot more work, I got frustrated as a thirty something adult...let alone a 10 yr old! I would definitely vote for a Dutch!!!

Latest posts

Back